• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Menards came to town!

My host town of Wheeling has been a 2 store town ------ Lowes and 84 lumber.

Menards just disrupted that, today.

Walking around the store:
    - better hardwood selection than either Lowes or 84 Lumber (pricey - but works in a pinch)
    - Power tools are definitely limited (no DeWalt!)
    - One exception ------ Menards has more router bits - and they're CMT!
    - Air tools might be an exception, as well ------ Lowes has a crappy selection of air tools. Menards looked a little bigger at first glance.
    - Not a lot of good layout and measurement tools
    - Pretty good pre-built inventory if you're a contractor looking to build a home, etc.
    - Menards has impressive and extensive Bath and Kitchen items.
    - Lowes has a better appliance department (selection-wise)

Will I be saving big money at Menards? Well ----- it's an option that I'll keep in mind.

One thing I'm curious about --- is their basic 2x4 lumber better or worse? I have some framing that I need to do.

• leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I love going to visit my daughter in Springfield MO. They have two, and one in Branson. Sure is much better than HD and Lowes.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I do the vast majority of my home improvement shopping at Menards. Before we moved back to civilzation, After a fifty mile drive was a Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes all on the same street within a mile of each other. Menards was my first choice followed by HD and then Lowes until I found what I needed. I think quality is about the same across the stores. I have a few comments about Menards.
      • Their inventory control is horrible so after a long drive you may find that what they think they have on hand isn't there. Fortunately for me, the drive is now 2 miles to Menards.
      • Their house brand power tools used to be Tool Shop and is now MasterForce are of barely functional quality.
      • Customer service is generally pretty good but you have to be patient because they are understaffed.
      • The 11% rebates for store credit are like crack to me.
      • Delivery costs are insane, save money and buy your own truck
      • They nearly always get special orders in earlier than they promise.
      Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ha, the question is not if you'll be saving money, but if you'll be spending more!
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Hopefully they’ll eventually make it to west coast.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

As with Twistsol, Menards is my first choice. On one occasion I bought a professional-grade tool that was steeply discounted, plus had the 11% rebate to boot!
            Menards used to have questionable lumber quality in the 1x category, but I have had better success of late. I have had good success with their 2x lumber, both "normal" and treated lumber. I've used a bunch of their hardwood because it was convenient.
            I've had better success with Menard's plywood than BORG. Menards has US/Canada made options. I've probably bought over 50 sheets of plywood from Menards.
            I've had good success with Menard's special order system as well.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

In 20 years of woodworking I have heard the name on the Ryobi and BT3000 boards many times, but I have never seen, let alone stepped into, a Menards store. They are not in Texas, I don't think.

From the Menards store locator web page - Lots of them but very regional. Yeah, just north central USA, I guess what you would call the upper Midwest, just like I suspected:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Menards locations.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	841011
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-22-2020, 10:36 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Loring, most of the things you will find and HD and Lowes, you will find at Menards. But, they do have more tools at the 3 I have been in, but one thing they have more of - is finer wood and a more variety of wood. Also they have a larger set of outdoor patio sets plus pet supplies and in general a more diverse set of goodies/odds and ends that you won't find the HD or Lowes.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  In 20 years of woodworking I have heard the name on the Ryobi and BT3000 boards many times, but I have never seen, let alone stepped into, a Menards store. They are not in Texas, I don't think.

Yeah, just north central USA, I guess the upper Midwest, just like I suspected:

Click image for larger version Name:	Menards locations.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	841011
                  Thanks for this - now I know why I have never found a Menards anywhere!

I keep seeing posts online about their nice hardwood slabs - essentially for kitchen counters that some adapted for workshop benches and all. No other store near me carry such.

Actually here in south Florida we don't have anything other HD/Lowes/Harbor Freight. We used to have a Woodcraft that closed.

Whenever I get to visit my brother in Phoenix, I set aside a couple of hours just to visit and browse the Rockler store there. Sort of a haven for me.
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    LCHIEN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lot of them, but very regional.
                Working...