• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

My diversion while on Quarantine

I have found a unique diversion while at home on quarantine.
    Around April 21 We noticed some birds flying into a bucket in our breezeway. We have one of those detached garage connected by a short breezeway to the back door of the house. In the corner by the wood fence and the person entry door of the garage I had piled some scrap sticks and a stack of two five gallon buckets; the top bucket was half full with some more scraps of lumber and a set of wind chimes needing repair partially wrapped in a plastic bag and a piece of copper pipe the plumber had cut out of the house, leaking.
    Anyway the birds were flying in with scraps of straw and sticks and leaving so it became evident that they were building a nest.
    Upon searching the internet we determined that these were Carolina Wrens who liked nice small boxes low off the ground to build nests.
    After a few days they had completed a nest which was made of a lot of leaves and straw and sticks and angled back to the garage wall. By the 27th one egg had appeared deep in the cavity of the nest and one more each day for 3 more days. I could only see when I pushed my head back against the garage door and wall and I never knew when the momma was on the nest.

Given the location three feet from my back door I got a pan-tilt-zoom wifi internet camera from the Jungle. And installed in on a support I built that was just above the bucket and angled slightly to align to the cavity which as I said was angled back.
    The eggs hatched on the fifteenth and 16th with us keeping daily tags on the progress with the camera.
    The camera has motion detection and records a clip when something happens, we see a lot of feeding. Its powered by a 10-foot USB power cable I just slipped through the garage door edge. The clips are recorded to the internal SD card, it has infrared night vision. Here's one from today - the mom comes, sits on the edge of the bucket chirps to get attention and the kids all turn their hungry mouths skyward. Mom feeds them with a little grub worm. Enjoy the video, I have lots more. Some with Dad feeding mom in the nest who feeds the kids. We are expecting fledging around the 25th or 26th!

Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-20-2020, 01:12 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Condoman44
    Established Member
    • Nov 2013
    • CT near Norwich
    • Ryobi BT3000

I get "invalid file" when I try to view it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Condoman44
      I get "invalid file" when I try to view it.
      Me, too.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

And so do I.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Same here too, I'm getting a blank page with "Invalid File Specified" at the top.
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sorry could not get the video to load right. Here's some stills. First one infrared photo at night, mom looking over four eggs. Next one is almost 4 weeks later with four hungry mouths to feed just before they fledged.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Wren mom looks at camera.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	839662
            Click image for larger version  Name:	four hungry chicks.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.4 KB ID:	839663
            Attached Files
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The amount of insects these little birds catch is amazing.
              At my last house we had Wrens nesting in the shop every year. They found a small gap in the roll up door seal and would sneak in. If I was in the shop they would run across the floor like a rat, then flit up onto the seat of the 4 wheeler, then when they thought I wasn’t looking they would sneak up to my nut and bolt bin where they used the same drawer every year for a nest. They were good guests, never made a mess and only gave an occasional chirp. One time I heard them pitching a fit in the shop and went to investigate and found a black indigo snake looking for their nest. They real problem I had with them was their chicks leaving the nest time, the chicks could not find their way out of the shop with the door down. We tried to estimate their fly away time and be there to open the shop door for them to leave. We had a couple of tabby cats for ratters but they didn’t seem to pay the Wrens any attention or try to bother their next.
              capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

When they were ready to leave the nest, they were climbing pretty high out of the nest to feed. So when they fledged there was about 10 minutes of pandemonium when they were climbing all over everything, flying into walls and then bang, they all flew off together to a tree with mom and dad in accompaniment. And we've not seen them since.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...