• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Ive often wanted to be able to turn on my rear camera to be able to check on the boat or utility trailer. I drove a couple of years old Honda Ridgeline that had a camera on the right side mirror that came displayed on the screen if you turned the right turn signal on. I really like that and am not sure why it is now not offered. Thee are couple of consequences of the Adaptive Cruise control on our 2018 Honda CRV that I don’t like. Cursing along in the right lane at 68 mph on a divided 4 lane with 65 mph speed limit..... someone who is afraid of getting a ticket creeps buy me at 68.10 mph and finally passes me and finally gets in the right lane, and will invariably drop their speed to 65..... causing my car to drop below 65. A few expletives and bless their hearts I bump it up to 75 and give them a scowl as I pass them and get a few miles down the road. Reall aggravating. It is un nerving to test the braking by allowing the cruise control to brake the car to a stop behind someone who is completely stopped in the road behind someone turning off, then accelerating back up to cruise speed!
    I’m 6’4”, And the camera and sensors that are housed in the plastic box behind the rear view mirror blocks my view in some models of cars. When looking at Toyota SUV and Nisans I marked them off my list because of this. The Honda’s were not quite as bad but I almost returned this 2018 CRV and picked back up our 2014 CRV trade in that didn’t have this blind spot in the center of the windshield!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I just today heard that Toyota adaptive cruise is overly conservative. I think we probably can't compare an older 2018 car to 2020.

Also I'm only 5'11" so the camera is only mildly annoying. Worth the trade-off. It would totally suck if I were taller.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Carlos
        I just today heard that Toyota adaptive cruise is overly conservative. I think we probably can't compare an older 2018 car to 2020.
        My 2019 is conservative on 2 parts--the following distance and the locked in speed. I don't use it if there's a lot of traffic even if we're hurtling down the road at 80.

​​Like capncarl, it's really annoying when someone merges in front but doesn't maintain speed. The car maintains a really big gap to the car in front so it looks like a huge invitation. I was playing with the setting yesterday but that sensitivity might be adjustable.

The locked in speed seems to be one or two MPH slower than the actual speed if you believe the speed displayed on Google maps. I don't have a good way to verify that, though, unless I'm willing to get a ticket.

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Mine has a distance adjustment button on the steering wheel, with four settings. The shortest one is pretty short. For speedo checking, I use an app called Speedbox, which just reads the GPS speed. This vehicle is within 1MPH.

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

These truck bed pockets are cheap, and useful. Around $35 alone, or $50 with a stick that is used as a separator, in those slots, and as a retriever hook to pull things from the bed. Went in super easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6547 3.39.54 PM.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	839414

Name:	IMG_0159.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	839415

Name:	IMG_6568.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	839418

Name:	IMG_6563.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	839417

Name:	IMG_6539.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	839416

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I noticed you have a console full of shifters. Maybe since it is a Jeep it’s different, but when are they going to get over space wasting center consoles for gear selector levers when the shifts are totally electric and could simply be a knob or switch and give us back our valuable realestate between the front seats!

Our adaptive cruise control on the Honda CRV follow distance also has 4 distance selections. #1 is close enough to be make observers think you are being towed by the car you are following...... way too close. I think it’s the selection most of our pick up trucks with bog hog tires, 4 sets of driving lights and cattle guard bumpers ever use!

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I don't want the buttons, and neither do most Jeep owners. For one, the Rubicon transfer case is still all manual. Yes, there's a real lever going down to the case, not just a lever connected to a computer. Two, if you want to manually shift the trans, that's the obvious place to go grab it. I have a hard time coming up with a place where you could have eyes on the trail and blindly find a shifter. What else would you do with the space? Storage? A seat wouldn't work. The lever space is probably just a foot wide; it's a pretty narrow vehicle. Not like a full-size truck at all. The back seat pretends to fit three, the front never would. For larger vehicles, I totally agree. And for things where you don't often need to manually shift.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Paddle switch shifters would be nice, it’s good enough for formula 1 cars so it’s good enough for me! The between the seat console on our crv, I call it the dump pit, is worthless for anything useful, it will hardly hold a respectable pistol. It’s just a 6” wide good place to loose stuff, so any additional usable space would like a breath of fresh air. I remember transfer case shifters well! I bought a new Ford Bronco in 1975, the high/low range selector was known to jump out of gear.... my knee cap is still sore from the whack it gave me during one of its temper tantrums. I’d still probably still have that truck it had come with AC!

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I like them on our BMW, and I could maybe see them on the Jeep. The bright side is they are always there. Maybe I'm just not imagining the design, but they'd have to be eyes-off at any steering position, and reachable without looking or thinking about it. I can't even use the radio controls if the wheel is turned, because they may be inverted and/or out of place. You make a good point about a pistol spot, I've lost mine. I had a lockbox under the seat in the previous one. Now that space is too small and occupied by other things. No secure pistol spot...yet.

Comment

Working...