• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

When the first hint of social distancing and shelter at home was mentioned I took it seriously. We had started prepping the garden in early Jan, so we planted the vegetable garden. Spring is several weeks early this year so maybe there will be a couple of weeks longer growing season before it gets so hot that everything starts to melt! Lchien, the caterpillars I see I mash! They are unwelcome guests!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0D32E056-0EE5-4057-A10C-31C3BF41A92A.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	839001​​​​​!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

These guys are happy about the warm weather. They have been blooming like this for over a week and are starting to wilt out. They were my mothers favorite and we dug them up and moved them to our garden when we had to sell her house. They are red Amaryallis. Deer eat all of the amaryllis that are planted in several flower beds throughout the yard but don’t seem to bother these under the gazebo. Maybe mother’s ghost is standing guard over her babies!

Name:	524C33C2-C1AC-48F1-B3B6-49453CB90F30.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	839003

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

We work from home all the time, so no change there. We very rarely visit client sites at all, but did go to one recently. They were mostly shut down, so good time to do some tech work. They had a sterilized corner for us to work in, and no contact with anyone. They are a medical facility so we trusted that they know how to keep us safe.

Aside from TP and bottled water being sold out, there aren't other huge glaring problems. Fresh produce is plentiful, and there are still some no-salt canned beans to buy. Junk food, processed crap, and salty canned foods are sold out or low. Eating uhealthily is going to kill some people one way or another. I've been using grocery delivery service about twice a week. They are running about 3-4 days delayed, so I just have an order and delivery appointment set at all times. You can change the list of goods up until about an hour before your delivery time. So I just keep adding to it, then it shows up. It's great.

We rarely eat restaurant food, but I picked up Greek takeout yesterday. They were doing takeout and delivery only, and as far as I know, all restaurants are doing that or just shutting down completely.

Oh, people who had been considering but dawdling on our upgraded server offering that allows people to have phones/chat/video/conferencing all integrated into one place and on any device (PC, mobile, whatever) are suddenly asking us to upgrade them. I've been doing a few of those. Otherwise they are on our standard phone-only VoIP platform and can still take their phones home and work from there. Lots of people making that move, or other changes.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
          Loring, the picts are not showing up for me. it could be my computer, but asking if you could check the picts you uploaded.
          Thanks.
          try again, I reuploaded an attachment you can download if you can't see it inline... its pretty big. I can see it on all my computers (3) and my cell phone.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Bored. Taking pictures of caterpillars in the yard with my macro lens.
            Those caterpillars remind me of the old Houston Oilers colors! Are you that nostalgic for your old team to be back? ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
            Last edited by leehljp; 03-29-2020, 12:31 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

We had heavy rain & wind last night and I went down to the basement this morning to a 1/4” of water ALL over the basement floor. Turns out the sump pump battery backup unit shorted out and tripped the breaker for the sump pump circuit. We did not have a power outage, so the UPS wasn’t on battery power. It just failed. So the foundation drains and the sump filled up during the night. It would have been worse had it not been for the furnace condensate floor drain. Water was running down the drain freely. So I spent the day with a ShopVac, floor scrubber cleaning things. Will be ordering a water alarm for the sump pump quickly.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Slik Geek
                • Dec 2006
                • Lake County, Illinois
                • Ryobi BT-3000

My entire product development staff is working from home, officially starting last Monday - but I started the Thursday before (self-quarrantine after returning from travel). Fortunately the stage we are at on this project was optimal for this isolation condition. Earlier in the program and it would have been inefficient because we were working through details of requirements and face-to-face meetings were very effective working out those details, looking at physical examples. If this happened later in the project it would have been difficult or risky because we would have had to have lots of equipment for people to share, and would have to perform testing that requires multiple people working together.

I'm mostly enjoying working from home because I get interrupted far less. I'm more productive on the tasks that I need to get done than ever. I found time last week to perform an in-depth detailed review of an engineer's complicated design and am I glad I had this focus time. There were issues that I needed to find! So overall, this has been productive for me.

Feeling a bit stir crazy, however, not getting out more frequently. The wife is also wanting to get out / go out to eat. So I don't want this to last too much longer!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp

Those caterpillars remind me of the old Houston Oilers colors! Are you that nostalgic for your old team to be back? :;
                  Ah, they had a name for that particular shade used by the old Oilers, it was Columbia Blue.

Name:	329097ada9dc5d26c992af73e298fcf3.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	839021

Yeah, we miss that team.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-29-2020, 05:51 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mm1992
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Columbus, OH
                    • BT3100

Ohio has been effectively shut down for a bit now, but from what I've heard it varies area to area. My area has been quiet and shut down, but I've heard not others that aren't as well.

I've been working from home for 2 weeks now, this week marks the start of the 3rd week. My wife loves having me at home full time, I can work in the shop a bit on my lunch break and projects are making much faster progress than normal. It was about a month ago I picked up 100 board feet to build a bed, and now I'm applying the finish. Without the shutdown I'd have taken probably twice that time to get it done.

The real question though is will I be expecting to get some more lumber to get the kitchen table built, because I'm going to be out of quarantine projects soon.

Comment

• Carlos
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Woodworker's Source is now delivering if you're within ten miles, or doing a load with zero contact if you go to pick up an order placed online or by phone.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Here in Broome County NY things are getting worse. On Friday it was reported that we had eleven cases with five here in Binghamton and three in Johnson City, which is less than a mile away. This afternoon (Monday) the report states that there are 32 in the county, with ten in Binghamton and eleven in Johnson City!

It is no wonder though, as people just are not staying home. I live on a double wide street that here on the west side, runs parallel to Main Street; as such, people turn onto our entirely residential street because they avoid one traffic light and the businesses on Main. I have noticed absolutely no slow down in traffic because of the virus concerns.

Yesterday, my wife called in a prescription and the pharmacist told her the adjoining grocery store looked like it was "the day before Thanksgiving!" I don't know if people are just ignorant or defiant! Regardless, the numbers of those infected have almost doubled in the city, and more than tripled in the adjoining city, just over the weekend.

My wife and I remain 'in-house' and it looks like that's the plan for at least another two weeks.

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

CWS: Here in Broome County NY things are getting worse. On Friday it was reported that we had eleven cases with five here in Binghamton and three in Johnson City, which is less than a mile away. This afternoon (Monday) the report states that there are 32 in the county, with ten in Binghamton and eleven in Johnson City!
                          "Flattening the curve" as is the recommendation offered by the CDC and Medical leadership is just prolonging the situation, but it offers a smidgen of hope. Some are saying go out in groups and get it over with. The problem with that second idea is that more deaths will come quicker, but by flattening the curve, hopefully some deterrent to the virus can be discovered before the majority get it, and higher survivability will result.

There is a mindset that says get it over with. I talked with a pastor today that felt that way. I just shook my head!
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

What’s wrong with people? Are they the ones I see at the supermarket walking around without masks? They can’t foresee the consequences any farther than their nose. “To just get it over with” would mean that such actions would cause all hospitals to be totally overwhelmed, causing the rest of the infected population to try to suffer through the virus at home or in their car. While they are piled up in bed for days who is going to feed their children and pets? Suposidly a large percent would survive, but someone would have to clean up the mess with all the dead people. What an awful thought!

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

"Flattening the curve" should work, just do some simple math.

For example, if the virus infects a person in one week, say on Monday, and it takes five to ten days for symptoms to occur, then by the middle of the following week (ten days) the person definitely knows they have it. Then if that lasts two weeks (14 days) they get better (or unfortunately pass), but are still contagious for another week (7 days), in which they are isolated... then you have now been infected for approximately thirty days! IF (and that's a big "IF") we could just stay away, shutdown, isolate then we'd not infect others. If we did infect others during that initial ten days, which is highly likely, you could very well just put a 45 to 60 day lock down and the virus would have run out. Those infected would not be spreading the disease and disease itself would no longer have a host.

Prime example would be that if one person got the disease to begin with, went home and infected their family of six and that six just stayed home for two months, the survivors would be virus free. Because they didn't travel, no one else would have been infected and in all likelihood, the rest of the world would have never even heard of it.

I realize that this is an oversimplification, but if people stayed home and/or were highly precautious, the virus would not spread across any region, much less the entire planet!

As of today, my wife and I have been out of physical contact with others for ten days! According to reports, the virus can go undetected from 5 to 14 days and so if we make it to this coming Friday, I would consider that my last venture into the public did NOT infect either of us! Now, if the rest of the community had stayed home in that same time period, then I would make the educated guess that our community is virus free.

But of course it is NOT! Because in that same time period, thousands of people have been traveling in and out of the local region. Buses, cars, planes, have all been transporting people. Who knows how many have fled NYC to get to a safer place here in our Southern Tier, how many are returning from Europe, S. America, of even Asia? My immediate neighbors were just in Taiwan this past Christmas, and we have a large University here that has a very large international student body, as well as faculty.

While our county is in "lockdown", there really is no preventative measures being taken, as it is "voluntary"; and, we all know how that works, like, it doesn't! (I just went out for the first time today to go to the Post Office and on the way back, pick up a prescription... people are all over the street, the barber shop, dollar stores, groceries, gas stations, and even Burger King and McDonald's are all open and doing "take out" business!)

Business-wise, that's a hard one. But really, if we just looked at it and said let's shut down for a month, everybody take your vacation pay, or unemployment, or the stimulus check, whatever, just stay home! We shut down the factory and office (look at the utility savings). We lock the doors on retail, and we put a skeleton crew to monitor process plants that can't be shutdown (that's what's happening at my son's plant). Really how bad should that be? While Yes, we lost income, but we also have lessened our expenses at the same time. (For instance, the world's largest compressor plant where I worked for thirty years. Everybody could leave, we lock the door, turn off the lights, and reopen it 30-days later. About the only thing different from day one to day 30 would be you might have to chase out a few squirrels and wipe away some cobwebs!

For example, we hear about the great losses of revenue in the airline industry. Yep, that's true! But if they parked the jets, had everybody take their vacation at home, what would those losses amount to? People shouldn't be traveling anyway! We save the fuel, the tires, even a large part of the maintenance which on a daily operating basis is very expensive! We also give the planet a month to breath without the heavy pollution caused by jet exhaust. And startup cost? Well, I would think that's only a fraction of what even one or two operational days would have been. A 30-day sit on the apron shouldn't cause any drastic deterioration, either to the facilities or the planes.

The problem of course is that we don't want to change anything, even in the face of seeing a lot of people get sick and die!

CWS
                              Last edited by cwsmith; 03-31-2020, 02:57 PM.
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 2003
                                • Maryland
                                • Grizzly 1023SLX

We were in VA 3 weeks ago, then DE for almost 2 weeks, and now we're in MD. Just yesterday the governors of both MD and VA, and the DC mayor have enacted stay at home orders--no longer suggestions. Up to 1 year in jail and/or $5000 fine in MD. I work for a federal office so now we have letters from the US attorney general in case we are pulled over saying we are traveling to/from work.

Because of my wife's job, we have connections around the world, and her agency has authorized departure for many of their staff and familes to return to the US if they didn't feel the country they were in could provide adequate support. We know people who have come back, but there are also people who won't come back during this crisis because their host country is doing more to lock down compared to the US.

Comment

Working...