Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Don't pull nails with cheap claw hammer

I was even using my bad arm surgery last year torn rotator cuff

Yeah that says it all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2020, 01:39 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Yep, you are correct sir. Many years ago, My three Brothers-In-Law & I converged to help one of them build a new garage. One had exactly the same hammer you pictured. Not only did the tubular handle bend, but one of the claw tips cracked off. Fortunately we had extras on hand. The offending hammer was consigned to the trash. Don't forget to keep your hammers sharpened for accuracy in nail driving. Saves from having to pull so many benders.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

That kind of hammer and drugstore screw drivers & screws! The pits!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

It's been riding around in a tool kit in my trunk for years... my dad gave it to me. He got it as a freebie from a bank for making a deposit instead of a toaster, I guess.

First time I ever used it on a nail in anger.

I went to put the hammer back in the blow-molded case and it wouldn't fit, hahaha, then I took a good look at it.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2020, 01:44 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I've only got two claw hammers, one has a steel handle with rubber grip which I bought way back in the 60's. Cheap Sears "Companion" but it's held up pretty well over the decades. While I'm not in the trades, as a home owner it's served me well with a few roofing jobs, framing, etc. working on my house, relatives and friends. My second is a wooden handled Stanley 91-1/2 which I've had since 1970 when some contractor left it in my office. I called him a couple of times and apparently he wasn't interested in picking it up!

Almost forgot, two year ago I was given an old claw hammer that used to belong to my wife's grandfather. The head is rather crudely cast and there are no identifiable markings. It has a wooden handle that for whatever reason has more than twenty nails driven into the handle bottom. The nails are odd-shaped ovals, with not consistency, almost like they were hand made, so they strike me as being made more than a century ago, perhaps in his native Italy; but of course that's just conjecture on my part.

To be honest, I always thought the steel handle on my Companion was solid, never imagining that it might be hollow.

When I was about ten or twelve, my Dad taught me to put a block of wood under the head when I was pulling nails, as it gives you some mechanical advantage and you don't have to pull so hard on the handle. Generally though, I use a bar for most really strenuous pulling tasks.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...