• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Car inspection

Our car passed inspection and is now fully registered. They are serious here! Road worthiness test checks brakes (using a dyno), turn signals, headlight brightness (yes, really), wheel alignment, tires, steering, and emissions. They also get it up on a lift to check the underbody and use some gizmo--maybe a magnet?--to check all the body panels for integrity. In Maryland, they only cared about emissions. They spent the most time looking for the engine serial number (although the technician thinks that's a bit silly nowadays since other parts of the car are easier and more lucrative to steal). Luckily I had found it online before we left when I did a VIN search and they were able to confirm what they found with what I found. If only they had told me what they were looking for 1/2hr earlier! Apparently there was corrosion on the numbers they suspect from the sea vogage.

I don't know how some cars here pass. Some look like they've been through a demolition derby.

I've owned cars in California and Maryland and there were no road worthiness test. Maybe if you could get it to the emissions station, that was good enough? Does your state check for road worthiness?

Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	833358
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Minnesota has no inspections at all. As long as you pay the taxes, the state is happy. We used to have emissions inspections, but at some point they decided a small enough number of vehicles were failing that it wasn't worth the effort.
    Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I take that back. In Maryland, when we brought one car from CA, we did have to do an inspection at an independent service station, but then didn't have to do any more inspections after that. A new car we bought in MD only needed the biannual emission inspection.

Maryland also started doing self-emission inspections at certain DMV locations. I think you got a discount. They have an OBD reader on a long cord at the station. It didn't work when I went, though.
      Last edited by atgcpaul; 05-21-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Here in NY, they check tire tread, wipers, turn signals, all lights, and I think brake linings. They also check windshields for pits, cracks, etc., withing the wiper area. At one point years ago they talked about emissions, but I'm not sure how far that goes today. I believe last year they also introduced a transparency test on darkness of window tint... you have to be able to read an inspection card through the tint.

In more than 57 years of owning/driving I've never had a vehicle fail an inspection. I do remember those early days, when you could drive around on almost bald tires and nobody cared. Actually I don't remember if there were inspections back in the early 60's.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Thankfully, the only inspections here are just a quick OBD port scan every other year after the car is five years old.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Not sure how roadworthy it is, but this was parked in the employee parking of the inspection station. Enough said.

Name:	122259B4-9D61-4F2D-83A9-DBF8717FA69B.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	833366

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

OMG, I have those wheels on my Jeep (minus the extra colors). Excuse me while I go set fire to it.

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	833369

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
                Not sure how roadworthy it is, but this was parked in the employee parking of the inspection station. Enough said.
                That thing wouldn't survive all the speed bumps we have here and looks like their front fender has already taken some hits. I still haven't figured out what the parking rules are here. People literally park with one wheel, two wheels, three wheels, all wheels up on the sidewalk. The other night I posted on FB for my family 3 cars squeezed into a spot for 2. The front car did have its wheels up on the curb. Parking enforcement is relentless here, though.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Carlos
                  OMG, I have those wheels on my Jeep (minus the extra colors). Excuse me while I go set fire to it.
                  I don't know if that would pass here. No doors.

That thing is SWEET!

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Thanks. So where is "here?" We have pretty flexible vehicle laws, and lots of people license quads, RZRs, and the like. I converted a dirt bike and basically just needed lights front and back, horn, mirror, and license plate light. I've heard that the door removal is illegal in some states, but not sure how true that is. I've checked for AZ, CA, and NV, which are the only states I drive to.

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

**** in California they don't test car or driver for road worthiness

Comment

• billwmeyer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Weir, Ks, USA.
                        • BT3000

In Kansas there are no inspections, except if you purchase a vehicle out of state they check the vin number. I live close to 3 other states and my last 4 purchases were from Missouri or Arkansas.
                        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I am surprised that there are any states that don't have some significant motor vehicle inspections. Here in NY, I think we've been doing car inspections at least since the early- or mid- sixties. Really are vehicles on your roads with bad brakes, bald tires, and God knows what wrong with them?

CWS
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

I believe we as Americans are over regulated.

Adequate automobile maintenance is an evolutionary filter.
                            Those that follow through with proper maintenance will survive and will
                            improve the intelligence of the race.
                            Those who don't and perish shall by their demise also improve the human race.
                            Its not always fair but the law of probability will work out in the end.

Comment

• Haninga
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by capncarl

Name:	122259B4-9D61-4F2D-83A9-DBF8717FA69B.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	833366
                              Lol, from the look it may not be but when tested it will... Like you said, Enough Said

Comment

Working...