• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ok, don't laugh

It didn't feel right to post this is in Finished Projects so here it is. A couple months ago my wife asked me if I wanted these empty crates that we're in the trash at work. So I swung by to check them out. Nothing special but it was free plywood and 1x4 stock. I haven't found a lumber supplier here yet.

I crammed them in our basement storage locker and waited for inspiration. It came pretty quickly because it was a PITA for me to move these crate panels out of the way everytime I needed something in the locker. So first project was a storage shelf to organize the boxes in the locker. I could have sworn I shipped one of those plastic shelving units but I guess I didn't.

First thing was to separate the 1x4 from the plywood. They were attached with staples--1748 of them. I'm in my makeshift shop which is a 12th story balcony with some terrific views, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180429_151822~2-1008x756.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	833345

For work support, I brought 2 plastic sawhorses and a B&D Workmate.

So fast forward to the finished product. 4' tall (8' 1x4 cut in half using my Japanese pull saw--no miter saw with me), about 28" wide because that was the length of the other 1x4s stapled on the panels, and about 20" deep because that's the width of the plywood. Held together with some drywall screws and braced in the back to prevent racking with some plywood offcuts.

I did use my DeWalt tracksaw to cut down the plywood, but dragging out the transformer is a little bit of a hassle. Unlike my old garage shop, when I'm done working on the balcony, I have to sweep up and put everything away before the day is done. It feels good to be working with my hands again, though.

Paul

Name:	IMG_20180519_183749-756x1008.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	833346
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Unlike my old garage shop, when I'm done working on the balcony, I have to sweep up and put everything away before the day is done. It feels good to be working with my hands again, though.
    That was my problem in Japan. But as you said: "It sure feels good to be working with my hands again." That was the reason I got into pen turning. I could make something in a confined space. I had a 9 x 12 shed and dedicated 2 1/2 ft by 4 ft area to my lathe and tools and pen stuff. At least I could do something without having to take tools out and then put them up every single time.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      It didn't feel right to post this is in Finished Projects so here it is.
      At the very least you accomplished SOMETHING in the shop which is more than most of us can say

Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

That’s got to be a hoot, you running a saw on your balcony and the people on balconies below you and on the street are looking up to see what the noise is, and getting sawdust is n their eyes! Possibly an experience many of them have never had! Keep up the good work.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Being a stranger in a strange land, I try to keep a low profile especially being an American in the Middle East. Our balcony has tile floors with a 1' tall tile surround topped by tempered glass walls--probably not a lot of sawdust leaking out. I think we are the first level to have balconies and everyone below is all closed in. There is so much ambient noise and wind here, I would dare say the sound of my saw just blends in or blows away. The 6 floors above me, though, do have partial views down onto my balcony so I suppose if I really cheesed them off, I'd be getting a nice shower of some sort. I do get the overspray from my neighbor above when she hoses off her balcony.

It's hot enough here now that the building's cooling tower is on 24/7 and I think all the units above have their windows closed and the AC on. Good thing, too, because when I light up the Weber, it does make for some smoke at the beginning. I miss my Big Green Egg, though.

I had to get the car inspected today to finish off the registration. I noticed a lumberyard next door--building lumber--and walked in after I was done at the inspection station. In their loft, they had these slabs literally hanging around like slabs of meat. The only one that really caught my eye was the gnarly olive wood slab leaning against the wall. Converted to dollars, it was $450--but there was also a "+" after all the prices which I haven't seen before. Not sure if that means it could be higher. Several different species of oak and walnut do grow here. I'm thinking those slabs in front might be walnut, but I did not see anything resembling oak.

Name:	IMG_20180521_113234-1008x756.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	833356

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Well..... did you buy the wood or not? The plus probably means that the negotiations start at 450 and go up auction style, you get mad and stomp off and the seller calls you back offering the highest price he thinks you will fall for.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
              Well..... did you buy the wood or not? The plus probably means that the negotiations start at 450 and go up auction style, you get mad and stomp off and the seller calls you back offering the highest price he thinks you will fall for.
              I'm not that desperate yet. We've got 2 years here so there is time. We are very close to our storage weight allowance so we are only getting the essentials. That's not to say the next trip back to the States, I'm not going to try to take all of my wife's books out of storage and move them to my parents' house.

I went to my old lumber supplier's website. They sell a lot of slabs. Similarly sized olive slabs (but not as cool looking) cost less than they do here and that's after they've been shipped overseas, too!

I did find a local-ish woodworking shop that also teaches. I'm considering taking some bowl turning classes.

Comment

• Haninga
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2018

Well, you hands are working and you've build meaningful something. Unlike most of us who can't... Nice job and keep it up

Comment

Working...