• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Armed and Ready!

I got my License to Carry a couple of years back and, unless I am going somewhere restricted, I always carry my compact .45 1911 when I leave the house. Never know when I might be attacked by a deranged one of these.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	45 Spam.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	833232
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I love the full-size 1911 (Springfield for me).

Can't imagine the kick with a compact one, though.....

Been gazing at Kimbers a lot lately ----- wondering why there's suddenly so many on the shelf.

One less can of Spam out there is good in my book.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II Stainless. I also have an Auto Ordnance 1911. Recoil with the 3" Kimber isn't that much worse than the 5" AO and it's a lot lighter and easier to conceal.

Last 2 pics are if I don't care who knows what I am carrying!
      Attached Files
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii
        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Lucky U guys can get permits to carry, our gun laws in Hawaii is so restrictive we cannot get that right. Getting permits to own rifles are easy but handguns are a little harder to get. Being an old (70) hunter b4 all the restrictions I'm grandfathered in to get my firearm permits. New guys gotta take State Hunter safety classes or an approve NRA firearms/handgun Safety class to get a Hunting License and Firearm permit. Usually takes 2 wks to get your Long gun permit and each handgun will have a separate permit to acquire. I still renew my permit to acquire every year it's free and my hunting license $20.00 a yr.. New guys will have a one time fee $40. to get their firearm permit.
        Visitors to our state will have to register their firearms within a few days of arrival and no open or concealed carry is allowed. We're a safe place to visit so no need to fear walking around without a firearm.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

So much for being in a safe state..... an occasional friend that I eat lunch with was attacked several weeks ago by a druggy with a base ball bat in an attempt to steal his truck. The friend carries a heavy duty fold up box cutter for his business work. The said the first strike with the bat was on his right shoulder from behind, it knocked him down and he swung on the truck door to get away from more bat beating. Luckily he was able to get his box cutter out and open without the druggy seeing it and he got a couple of good swipes across his chest. The druggy fell down and the police showed up to stop the fight before friend sliced him up more. The police wanted to charge friend with excessive force! The druggy required 168 stitches and 70+ yr old friend says doctors told him he may never regain full use of his arm and shoulder again. Friend is getting a pocket pistol this week.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Pappy,
            i went on a diet last year and went down 4 pants sizes and 4 calibers! I couldn’t hold my pants up with either of my .44s in the belt. I went with the .357 until I lost another pants size so I picked up a 9mm. When I dropped down to size 36 I went down to .380, which I really like the size and concealabity. I can’t afford any more guns so I am going to hold my weight where it is now!
            capncarl

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Here in AZ we carry openly or concealed, no permits. True rights.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I ain’t ever been that mad at a can of Spam!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
                  I ain’t ever been that mad at a can of Spam!
                  Plus one on that!
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Probably easier than here in NY State. Last time I checked it was something like four months to get a handgun permit and special requirements to have that "unrestricted" (personal hidden carry). Open carry is not permitted. Buying a rifle or shotgun simply requires registration at time of sale and then you wait a couple of days for pickup (last time I checked anyway). No assault rifles are permitted and the "assault" rifle label is clearly defined, among those are no magazines over eight rounds. If I understand it correctly, previous ownership of an assault weapon requires registration and large ammo clips are illegal. Saie of assault weapons and large magazines are prohibited.

Personally, I don't have a problem with any of it. I got my first 22 rifle when I was fourteen (1958)... My Dad handed it to me at Christmas that year, and told me to "Be Responsible"... no further instructions of any kind. I guess he figured I was old enough. He didn't own any guns, didn't hunt, and wanted nothing to do with them after his experiences during WWII in the Pacific.

I've owned and had experience with several weapons since then, but when I became a Dad I decided I didn't want them in the house. When our son got older, I got my first rifle back. The military rifles I once had, had been sold... my younger brother had no sense of responsibility and Dad asked back then if he could sell them. When my boy was about three, I sold the only handgun that I had.

I still have my original 22, and a Henry survival rifle for when I'm off hiking. I've contemplated getting a handgun (my permit has long ago been discarded, so I'd have to go through all that again. I'm out and about the area, taking pictures on rare occasions and sometimes feel a bit wary with almost $3K equipment in my bag. Mostly just people being curious. But still, I'm not so sure I want to be "packing" either.

At the place I take my car for service, twice now I've seen this character packing an automatic... very obvious, as he seems to be flaunting it, making sure everyone see's the barrel sticking out below his jacket. A few weeks ago I bought new tires for the van and there he was, in his camo pants and jacket, occasionally pulling the turtle neck up over his nose, like a mask... and walking in front of customers, staring them in the face. I asked the manager about him and was told that he was his ex-father in law,, considers himself a "mountain man", and is just trying to "be weird". NICE... the guy's going to get himself into some trouble one day I'm sure.

Then there was the guy who rented an apartment up the street from me, first two weeks in the place and he was alarming everybody with his constant flashing of his handgun and then a threat. The cops arrested him. Or the guy two blocks away who was found to have an arsenal of sorts. Several thousand rounds of ammunition and about a dozen assault rifles were found. All would probably have been okay except that he took one out into his driveway and threatened a neighbor with it... I think he's still serving time.

That's what I don't like about some people with gun ownership. There's just too many nuts out there. I'm pretty indifferent most of the time. You want a gun, that's fine and I normally have no problem with it; considering it's your business and your choice, as it is mine. What I don't like is when there's the occasional guy who considers it something more than it is, and makes like it's a crutch of sorts.

Don't misunderstand me, I really am pro-gun ownership, but with limits to those who behave responsibly. Most of my friends are owners and a few of them are quite animated about it. My oldest friend has a Federal license. I have one friend who even sold his home and most of his possessions, gave up his job and moved himself and wife and son to Wyoming. "Why?" I asked! "Because it's open carry!", was his answer. We keep in touch, although not as much as I'd like. They are all happy and doing well and he gets to carry one of his handguns wherever he goes. Nice I suppose, as it makes him happy. Me? Well I complain because I don't like carrying my cell phone everywhere I go... too bulky. Oh well.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

The reason I carry concealed? No more explanation needed
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	BB9B36E1-56C8-448D-BEAD-AE09540BD086.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	833278

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

That's the reason I avoid those places, armed or not.

Comment

Working...