• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Why do I bother with CL people?

Found something on CL I want. Has been there for 28 days. Ask the seller if it's still available and provide my cell number underneath my "Thanks, Paul" signoff. I didn't specifically ask them to call me, though, figuring if it's not available, they either won't bother to reply or email me and say No.

However, I get an email reply within 15 minutes of "It is!" and nothing else.

Are they trying to make a sale or what? I reply back, Can you give me your number or call me at mine and provide my number again in the body of the email. Crickets.

I've lost count of how many times this has happened to me, but for some reason--probably because it's a free service-- I keep coming coming back.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

There are so many people on cl that are technology challenged. I sold an old model gravely tractor to a guy on cl that responded back several times and actually showed up to buy the tractor on time and with money! He only knew how ro search cl on his wifes computere and had not replied back himself at all, he had his grandson do everything for him, even operate fhe nav system in his vehicle so he could find my house!
    That said, i have seveeal work friends that are computer geeks that never use more than 3-4 words in a text. When we have our monthly get together ill get a text aj 5, i means meet at ajs ouster bar at 5! But i dont know what day or what month. You gotta love a geek.
    At least you didnt get a scammer.

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

More and more people don't like talking on the phone. They avoid it like the plague. It's just the way things are going I guess. But even so if he was really interested in the item he would have made contact. I'm guessing the guy was just a tire kicker. I've gotten many "Is it still for sale" emails with no follow up. I've come to expect it so much that I expect no response and am pleasantly surprised if they actually do.

You could add a note in your ads saying to include phone number and name otherwise you won't respond.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Actually, I'm the buyer and they are the seller which is why this is even more frustrating. I want to give them money. I'm not even looking to haggle or even wanting free delivery.

This person finally texted me last night. I immediately called back, they provided a picture I requested but have not responded to my followup question since their picture wasn't detailed enough. Going to call back after 9am this morning. It shouldn't be this hard to spend $40!

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Oh wow my reading comprehension skills are really failing me in my old age. Well I hope the item was worth the aggravation.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I've had the same experiences with ads both old and new. I also try to end my message with 'Thanks, Pappy' and my cell number.

Selling things I always mark them no email reply and opt for phone/text response. I much prefer phone contact over texting.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I never text in CL and note that in my item description, i only use their email connection. It is a good usable connection that gets the seller and fhe interested buyer together quite well. There you can exchange phone numbers.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                Found something on CL I want. Has been there for 28 days. Ask the seller if it's still available and provide my cell number underneath my "Thanks, Paul" signoff. I didn't specifically ask them to call me, though, figuring if it's not available, they either won't bother to reply or email me and say No.

Are they trying to make a sale or what? I reply back, Can you give me your number or call me at mine and provide my number again in the body of the email. Crickets.

I've lost count of how many times this has happened to me, but for some reason--probably because it's a free service-- I keep coming coming back.
                People don't think. On the other hand, he answered exactly what you asked.
                You should have said, is this for sale, please call me back with you phone number or contact information.
                He might have guessed what you wanted, which is mind reading. Because he's not a good mind reader, maybe that's why its still for sale.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

A lot of people won't give out their phone number due to spam issues.

Objectively, it appears you had expectations that you did not share with them. You asked a question, they answered your question. They are probably thinking "if he wanted a phone number, he would have asked for it".

FWIW, I would have responded to your query the same way - answer your question, but nothing further to avoid "pressuring" you.

--------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I immediately called back, they provided a picture I requested but have not responded to my followup question since their picture wasn't detailed enough. Going to call back after 9am this morning. It shouldn't be this hard to spend $40!
                    Unfortunately you have probably now been tagged as a "problem buyer". Rule of thumb on CL is avoid buyers who ask questions, they ultimately end up being problems. The stories I could tell :-0.....
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Only loosely related, but...

Back in the days before Facebook, I ran across what I thought to be the email of an old college friend that I hadn't seen or heard from in many years. I wasn't 100% sure though, so I sent an email saying basically "If this is you, let me know how you've been and what you've been up to since we last chatted, and I'll respond with the same".

I get an email saying "yes this is indeed my email". Period.

I didn't bother responding.

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

As for Craigslist, you tend to get so many bad replies as a seller, you do tend to be brief. Between lowball offers, people saying they're interested but then falling off the planet, etc. I can see this happening.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

Being a person that believes that you should treat people the way you want to be treated, for my last batch of CL sales I took a copy of the item description and embelished on it a bit and added some extra photos. When an interested buyer contacted me by email I sent them a copy of the description and additional photos and instructions telling them if this is the item they are looking for to send me their contact information via the CL email forwarding system and I will contact them quickly. This addition step hopefully answered any questions and did not just send them my contact information. It also created another filter of sorts to weed out scammers. When the scammers do reveal theirselves I think it is fair game to mess with them, jerk them around and waste as much of their time until I bore of them. I think that sellers that respond like you describe run off a lot of interested customers, If the sellers won't show photos I figure they are embarased by its condition and I dont want it, likewise if the photos reveal a dirty or beat up item i assume its been abused and not not been taken care of, and i dont want that either.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                            Selling things I always mark them no email reply and opt for phone/text response. I much prefer phone contact over texting.
                            Do you post a time for calling?
                            I ask, because as one of those that can work odd hours, I tend to check CL between 10 pm and 2 am, or before 6 am. I could certainly call you then, but I have only had one person with a similar schedule, that said call around 11 pm.
                            I currently have one question out for pictures, for someone who used someone's photo, of something that is different, but not a picture of the actual item. I also asked for what is a better time for them, as some work days, some work evenings, and some work nights.

My most recent purchase was for a sit/stand computer desk, as I have been wanting one for a while. The last one I saw was at a local junk store and it was $450. I found one new in the package on CL, with the info copied from the manufacturer, that had some x or z things, that I needed to know was it x, or was it z. I got the guys number by emailing him, but when I called him he was more goofy when on the phone. He gave me his general location, so I tried a second time then said, no I need the actual address, so I can meet you, not just drive around a general location and hope I randomly find you. He was goofy, because he wasn't sure if he had it in his shed at home, or at his work location. So we agreed he would find out and call me later. It took him about an hour, then we met thirty minutes later and swapped the NIB desk for $50. He was happy to have it out of his way (bought in a pallet of stuff from the local damaged freight store) and shocked that someone wanted it, I was happy at the price.

I should note, I have a phone. I don't have a texting device. People try to text me and I never see it.
                            Last edited by LinuxRandal; 08-16-2016, 09:05 AM.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm going to have to give the seller the benefit of the doubt on this one for the poor follow-ups, but not the initial "It is!" Saw evidence of a bunch of baby stuff in her apartment when I picked up the couch. That wasn't too long ago for me and I remember what that was like.

When I sell, I never give out my number in the post and I stipulate that I need to have their number before I start making arrangements.

Whether I'm the buyer or seller, I don't call people before 9am or after 8pm.

Comment

Working...