• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

A new thing for me

Mods - not sure of policy for something like this, please disposition appropriately.

I decided to dip my toe into setting up a Youtube channel for some of my upcoming woodturning projects. Are there any other "youtubers" on this forum?'

I'm a complete noob at this, basically using my cellphone for video, and the basic Youtube editor to kluge clips together. My first video is basically an introduction and a tour or my garage shop, so if you're interested in burning about 20 minutes, I'd welcome your feedback. I'd like to do a series of 5 minute videos, no sales pitches (although you'll hear me mention HF alot, since I have a bunch of their stuff). I don't have plans to get any fancier - no music, fancy graphics (honestly, I just don't have that skillset. ) If you think you might want to follow my journey, "please like, subscribe and comment".

Bill in Buena Park
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Very nice and well done! You made is look easy. I might try it but it would take too long to clean up the shop.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Thanks Cap. Hardest part was learning how the cellphone processes video, and how to put the clips together once uploaded to Youtube. I hadn't previously considered using a cellphone for video (not sure why) before I saw this clip from Marius Hornberger on a little cellphone mount for his tripod. Took me all of about 30 minutes to make mine. Its scrap plywood, with a scrap lexan face.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone mount2 sm.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	827024 Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone mount1 sm.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	827025

Some forums have "video libraries" where members can post project videos, I wonder if there's an appetite for that here amongst the community.

Link to Marius Hornberger video:

Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Nice job Bill, I think the Wood Whisperer and Cap'n Eddie has some budding competition! It looks like you have done a great job of using your space. I didnt see the table saw setup or if you have any open bench space for assembly etc are you more focused on turning at the moment?

I like the sanding disk box and the way you have your chucks and turning acsessories orgainized They are two shop projects I must get sorted soon.

Tell me you cleaned up just for the video. I dont think my shop has been that clean since I built it and first installed the tools, I seem to be permanently sweeping up and getting rid of sawdust and shavings from seemingly everywhere.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

also noticed that little craftsman grinder next to the lathe is that a wet grinder? I have something very similar that I got from Lowes a long while back. I was considering selling it but this seems like a good use. What tools do you touch up with it? not sure I would be brave enough to try gouges on it freehand.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I noticed the clean shop, too, as well as a missing TS. I've posted some private videos to YouTube but haven't done any editing there. I usually edit in Windows Moivemaker. Does YouTube have pretty good effects and editing capabilities?

I do like watching WWing stuff on YouTube. There's definitely money to be made if you get a lot of subscribers. My wife jokes I should make a channel, but I can't imagine having enough content to keep posting videos on a regular basis to sustain interest. And then there's the problem of making the shop look presentable before putting it out there. Seems like a common thread with the YouTube channels I subscribe to are clean, organized shops.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Hey Jon and Paul, thanks for the feedback and good catch on the missing table saw! I actually had my Sears BT3 Clone in the original video but I probably spent four minutes on that and it wasn't easily editable so I cut it - going over 20 minutes just seems Criminal 19 was bad enough! So I'll probably add that in the future video.

As far as the clean shop, I make an attempt to sweep and vacuum after every project so it is generally in that condition - it helps me feel ready to work if I walk into a clean shop than one that is in disarray. I primarily use that Crftsman sharpener for touching up the scrapers and my spindle roughing gouges. All bowl and detail spindle gouges get sharpened on the Rikon setup.

The YouTube editor had some nice features. I haven't really edited any video in close to 10 years, back when I used to transfer my video from mini DV over to DVD and used a piece of software called Movie maker. The YouTube editor lets you do some stuff like split a clip and do some special effects and add text. Seems enough for me to be able to produce something that is interesting hopefully!
              Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 08-13-2016, 09:12 PM.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

No better that i like using my iphone for a video camera i guess ill pass on using it for utubes.

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Well done Bill. Looking forward to seeing more. You seem to have really good shop layout. Anything you would change?
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Thanks Jussi. I would love to have a little more room to get a couple of the tool stands off that back wall but that would mean a bigger garage or another place to store the motorcycle.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I really think that shop tour is a great idea, not really smitten with the idea of posting my shop on utube though. If everyone on this site had a shop tour you could reference back to their tour video when someone posts something.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Cap, i was hesitant for likely the same reason - afraid it was like saying "here are the tools, come and get 'em!" But in my case, I believe (1) the tools are mine on loan from the man upstairs - he'll decide if I get to keep them or not; (2) that my tools aren't likely high end enough to interest someone to take them; (3) if someone tried, most things are bench mounted or heavy enough they would struggle and be noticed by (4) my 95 lb black lab who does not like strangers, (5) my neighborhood is very close knit, and the garage door faces two of my neighbors in the neighborhood watch and nothing happens they don't know about, and (6) I'm pretty careful about not being specific about where I am - Buena Park is a fairly large city, and from the Craigslist ads I see, chock full of woodworkers.

But I think it would be a great "ice breaker" thing to do shop tour videos. On the Woodturners Resource forum, they have a place for sharing shop photos, one could just as easily post a link to their YouTube shop tour.
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I've got the same apprehensions about sharing my shop although I have shown pics here...and then there's the need to clean it before it gets shared with the world.

I am a little jealous of you guys who have woodworking friends/neighbors. (My wife says I don't because I'm a curmudgeon.) I'm surrounded by historic homes but seems like most of my neighbors hire out the work. I heard a router off in the distance this afternoon. I felt a little like Buck in Call of the Wild and wanted to howl back.

One of the YouTubers I subscribe to, Mike Peace, just came out with a video about making a teleprompter for shooting videos. I do present at work on occasion and I write up a script, but I don't actually read from it. I try to let my slides queue me for what to say from my script. Many a time I wish I had a teleprompter when I'm done because I forgot to mention something or I realized I said one too many Ums.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Buena Park, CA
                            • CM 21829

Paul,
                            I follow Mike Peace as well, he is a great resource. I think for his purpose, which is educational in nature, a teleprompter sounds like a good deal. But sometimes that can come off sounding scripted. Its always a good idea to be mindful of the "ums" though, which I need to work on - strange thing is that I also present at work without this problem, but the moment I'm on camera, all bets are off.
                            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Bill,

I can't speak for the other moderators, but it seems to me to be kind of the point to share woodworking related information of all sorts on this site, so yes, as long as your videos adhere to policy (No bashing others, no religion or politics etc...) you are good to go! And no you aren't the only Youtuber here...
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...