• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Too many storage places to lose tools.

Back when I was in Japan (26 years with regular trips back to the USA) I had tools there and tools here, many of the same on both sides. I had a BT3000 there and 3100 here. Traveling back and forth complicated things as I would sometimes confuse what tools I had where.

In 2000, I bought a Kreg Pocket Hole system, carried it back to Japan and began using it immediately. Then coming home (USA) every year for a month or so, I found I needed it for a special project here, and I thought I bought a second one around 2002. I know that I used it a couple of times. But after that I could never find it again on the USA side. Since 2003-4, I have wondered “Did I buy one for both places, or did I take it back and forth a couple of times?” After dozens of searches over 10 years, I finally convinced myself that I just got confused, bought one, and carried it back and forth a couple of times in the early 2000's.

Add that story of tools in two countries to too many places to store things on the USA side: a “12x16 storage shed with 8ft walls” and a “Play House” building (with air condition and bath room) for grandkids my dad built. The "Play house" has been used for storage for our kids during college and furniture from here there and yonder that they collected. I finally got them to move most of it out this past winter and spring. This is where my shop is migrating to now. After building the tool storage tower last month, HERE, I remembered I had three or four empty tool containers on a back shelf in the other shed. I went to get them this afternoon, and one wasn’t empty. Looked close and it said “Kreg” on the outside. Now I have TWO Kreg sets. I think my grandson or SIL will be looking for a handout when they find out I have two.

Back in 2002 0r 2003, I posted a similar story of finding lost tools - due to the house repairs from the 1995 Hanshin earthquake. Sure is a good feeling.
    This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Hank, I can definitely relate to that. Since I built the new shop I have tools there, and in my garage. The shop isn't as organized as I'd like it and after searching a while there, I head up to the garage and look around. Fortunately it's just a short walk up the hill from the shop to the garage rather than a flight across the Pacific.
    Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

And I thought I had problems with the shop 50ft from the house! The only tool I've replicated between the house and shop is a cordless drill. Everything else gets shuttled back and forth. My wife won't let me set up a little tool area in the basement for fear that I'll take that over, too.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

We have a condo for the girls at college 2.5 hours away. Our first fix-it-up trip I left a few tools there so I wouldn't have to bring them back. But after doing without them for several months, I brought all except the painting stuff back (which is duplicates). It just isn't that hard to put stuff in the SUV when headed up there and I did anyway since I wasn't sure what was there and whether it would still be there. Much easier to carry it from the shop to the vehicle than it is to go buy it again if I didn't have something.

In the house I used a small utility room off the garage for a few tools before the shop garage was built. Then I unloaded the storage unit first and then moved things out of the utility room. It still isn't all moved since I've been making a location for things and then moving them. The main thing that still needs to move is the nailers. I have the pin nailer and the Ryobi cordless in the shop but the others are still in the utility room. I moved the nuts and bolt cabinets just last weekend because I was tired of going "next door" for things - even though I don't have a great spot for them yet.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Which model would that be? (seems like some are preferred)
          I know that I gave my dad an article for a pocket hole portable stand, that he built two of. I just attached the jig to a wooden L board that I either use on the bench, or secure in a workmate etc. There have been a couple go to help times, that I would appreciate one still in a case.
          If I really did it enough, there was that foot operated jig, that youtube video was about making a couple years back.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            Which model would that be? (seems like some are preferred)
            I know that I gave my dad an article for a pocket hole portable stand, that he built two of. I just attached the jig to a wooden L board that I either use on the bench, or secure in a workmate etc. There have been a couple go to help times, that I would appreciate one still in a case.
            If I really did it enough, there was that foot operated jig, that youtube video was about making a couple years back.
            Both of mine are about the same - the K3 set. It looks like the case below (which is a K4), only mine are older and has the single hole individual jig as well as the 3 whole system jig. This one doesn't have the single jig as part:

K4
            here

Mine also had the two wings that go out both sides of the main jig - for support.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...