• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Bought A New Lens

Now that I am no longer doing any woodworking photography has taken over as my number one hobby with shooting at second place. I have a Nikon D7000 with a nice assortment of lenses but have wanted a good long lens for some time.
    Here are a few sample shots with the new Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 on the D7000. I am very impressed with the quality. All photos were hand held.

Hydrangea at 200mm

Hydrangea at 300mm

Hydrangea at 500mm

Murphy at 200mm

Puffin at 200mm
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Very nice!

When I was working I had a D4.... what a really nice piece of equipment that was. Quite complicated though. Unfortunately my boss took a liking to it and I rarely had it in my hands except during product shoots in the shop.

I have two cameras, a Canon "New F1" which I bought in 1982 and a Nikon 995 which I purchased in 2000 (IIRC). The former is of course a film camera and I can't remember when was the last time I used it. I have a big Speedlight for that and a few lenses, bellows, macro attachments, and even a slide duplicator for it; but no telephoto. But film and proper development is simply too expensive to just shoot a lot of stuff these days. My 995 is really okay, but resolution is only something like 2 Mega-pixels. Good enough for viewing on the computer though. Problem is that its a bit obsolete by today's standards and my Li-Ion battery is fading to the point where I only get 40 or so pictures without using it's meager, little flash.

My wife keeps telling me to go buy a new camera, but its hard for me to justify something really good, like you D7000.... just seems there's no time anymore for such fun things.

I have to admit though, those photographs of yours are envious

Thanks for the post,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nice Pictures, Dick, haven't heard from you for a while.
      I have been taking pictures for a long time, had a Olympus OM system 35mm film cameras back in 70's and 80's with a lot of stuff. I did not commit to a DSLR for a long time, as prices were high, performance low and expensive stuff was going obsolete fast.
      I got by with a "bridge camera and its superzoom for a while. But in the last two years I have been using the new Olympus Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens camera system called micro four thirds. AKA M43 and MFT.
      It has a sensor that's a bit smaller than the full frame 36 x 24mm sized sensors but signiificantly larger than Point and shoots and smartphone sensors. And I think it gives very high quality pictures and the system has a lot of weight, size and cost savings advantages. Anyway, that's my poison.

Anyone want to see some examples I could post here or link to some.
      We used to have some nice photographic threads here.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-13-2016, 11:40 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Oh what the heck, here's one:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n826399[/ATTACH]
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Oh what the heck, here's one:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n826399[/ATTACH]
          Very nice! I am not familiar with that camera but I am impressed with that shot.
          I got a camera for 10th birthday in 1947, it took 127 film, and that started me down the slippery slope.
          Dick

Comment

• trungdok
            Established Member
            • Oct 2012
            • MA

Very nice pics!!!

I have a DSLR, but its bulkiness deters me from carrying it around. I'm not big into photography. So, I ended up just use my friend's point and shoot whenever I go somewhere. Loring's pic of a bee reminded me of these I took with the point and shoot.

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

Originally posted by trungdok
              Very nice pics!!!

I have a DSLR, but its bulkiness deters me from carrying it around. I'm not big into photography. So, I ended up just use my friend's point and shoot whenever I go somewhere. Loring's pic of a bee reminded me of these I took with the point and shoot.
              Nothing wrong with using a point and shoot camera, many of them give very good results.
              Here is a shot of my Nikon with the new lens taken with my Canon Power Shot SX200IS.
              Dick

Comment

• jking
                • May 2003
                • Des Moines, IA.
                • BT3100

You own a Nikon and a Canon? Isn't that like owning both a Ford and a Chevy pickup?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Oh, are we comparing the size of our lenses?
                  This one is a 30-something year old catadioptric (reflex) lens on a current digital Olympus OM-D camera. 1000 mm equivalent in a small package.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Very nice photos! I am curious though, why did you give up woodworking? You were turning out very nice turning projects!

I have been doing a LOT of photo / video myself lately, but I am not aiming for quite what you seem to be going for. I picked up a small collection of SJCam SJ4000s and an SJ5000x Elite, along with a Blade Chroma drone, gimbals etc... and adapters etc.. for my Galaxy S7. Been shooting a lot of video, much of it is crud, but some of it is coming out good...

I still have a lot of the old 35mm lenses and bodies from my old Pentax. I somewhat wonder if the lenses would swap over to say a good Canon DSLR...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Whaler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Sequim, WA, USA.
                      • DW746

Originally posted by dbhost
                      Very nice photos! I am curious though, why did you give up woodworking? You were turning out very nice turning projects!

I have been doing a LOT of photo / video myself lately, but I am not aiming for quite what you seem to be going for. I picked up a small collection of SJCam SJ4000s and an SJ5000x Elite, along with a Blade Chroma drone, gimbals etc... and adapters etc.. for my Galaxy S7. Been shooting a lot of video, much of it is crud, but some of it is coming out good...

I still have a lot of the old 35mm lenses and bodies from my old Pentax. I somewhat wonder if the lenses would swap over to say a good Canon DSLR...

Gave up the woodworking due to some physical limitations and burnout, I had wanted to get back to my photography as well.
                      Dick

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost

Using old lenses on new cameras is a big thing nowadays.
                        However, you can almost never get old 35mm SLR lenses to fit current DSLRs. They all have different mounts. Making mounts mate so that they at least mate optically and are the right distance from the film/sensor plane is the trick that's needed. SLRs and full frame DSLRs are almost always going to be incompatible becasue the flange to film distances are nearly the same. any adapter will put them too far apart.
                        But the newest crop of interchangeable lens camera are called Mirrorless ILCs and they rely on live view through electronics using the sensor and a electronic viewfinder. No mirror is required so that the mirror box and the swing-up distance is eliminated. Cameras using the Micro-four thirds system (Olympus, Panasonic, and others), the Sony system and some others have bodies that are thinner and so its possible to make inexpensive adapters to put "old glass" from virtually any 35mm SLR onto these cameras. Its a big thing, there are entire on-line forum subsections dedicated to it. You do give up autofocus and in autodiaphragm, but these things are liveble with.
                        With the Micro four thirds systems, the sensor is 1/2 the diagonal size so there is a crop factor of 2.0 This means that the Field of View (FOV) is halved giving an effective doubling of focal length compared to use on a 35mm SLR.
                        A 50 mm lens adapted to the new camera will be like a 100 mm lens on a 35 mm SLR or a Full frame DSLR.
                        The picture I posted above is a 500 mm focal length folded mirror 35mm camera lens giving an effective focal length of 1000 mm with a total length of about 6 inches; a 35 mm camera with a refracting lens of 1000 mm focal length would be about 24 inches long!

Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-15-2016, 06:20 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...