• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

WATCH OUT FOR New scam using Amazon Marketplace

I have been looking at a lens, looked on Amazon and this morning a new used item on Amazon Marketplace popped up. at a price that was maybe 25% lower than the normal used price. On the description it claimed that you should contact them first to confirm availability.

When I emailed the address (a gmail one) they said that they would enter an Amazon order in my name and I would get an e-mail from Amazon for payment.
    Sure enough I get a pretty official-looking email from an auto-confirm@payments-amazon.com address with the description, the Amazon A-Z guarantee, and with instructions to purchase a Amazon gift card (complete with a link) in the amount and then send the seller the claim information.

That seemed pretty odd and the price being too good I contacted Amazon's CS chat line. They confirmed the order no. was not legit and the e-mail sender was not them.
    I forwarded all the correspondence to Amazon's spoof dept.

It was actually pretty slick as they used the Amazon marketplace (used items) to post an item with instructions to go outside the Amazon order system. And a very good spoof of an Amazon e-mail, logos, style and typeface and all.

So be Careful!
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-11-2016, 11:37 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wow, that is pretty clever. Although I definitely don't condone criminal activity, I am awestruck by the ingenuity of criminals. Like the guys who are luring players of the new Pokemon game into a trap to get robbed. The game has been out for less than a week, and they've already come up with some kind of scam. They did get caught, though.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

How did you contact them? Your able to and supposed to contact ALL sellers through the Amazon site directly for Amazon protection. Also, considering I think you have told people before, they shouldn't put their email address on here, why are you giving out their email, unless you want people to spam to them?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
        How did you contact them? Your able to and supposed to contact ALL sellers through the Amazon site directly for Amazon protection. Also, considering I think you have told people before, they shouldn't put their email address on here, why are you giving out their email, unless you want people to spam to them?
        well, it was sort of clever, they put their address in the seller description as a link and said to contact them prior to placing order to confirm availability.
        The response was that they did have one and they would place the order with Amazon to hold it and I would get an email from amazon confirming this. It would contain payment links.
        Thats when you get the very official looking spoof from the address I posted except it was not a valid amazon address, and plus I did not reproduce the whole address in my posts here...
        The payment links were actually through Amazon, but gift cards which could be cashed by anyone.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-12-2016, 06:18 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

There are "mouse track" from my email client to the menu bar to display full or raw data. And my email client shows the supposed sender but If I click on the email addy, it will show a different address at that point - if it is spoofed. I am suspicious of even regular email from companies that I frequent, including Amazon.

I hate tracking and many spoofs are the result of tracking cookies giving away info.
          Last edited by leehljp; 07-12-2016, 07:17 PM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...