• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I refuse to use these self-serve cashiers... I refer to them as "robots". Whether I buy something at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot or wherever, I will NOT use anything but a live, human cashier. When it gets to the point where there are no longer humans, then I will probably shop elsewhere... at least as long as I can. That is just about the case with Home Depot, as my local only has one live cashier hired, with all the rest being automated out of employment.

While I understand the greed of the Corporate owners, it just doesn't make good business sense to me. Home Depot has long been an irritating place to shop for me. We went looking for a new kitchen range several months ago with only one older gentleman working in that section. No real displays, no real knowledge. The stoves were stacked like in a freight lot, most still having the tape and packing material on them. When asked about a specific model, all I got was that they didn't have it, but "it was sort of like this one, or...was it that one?"

Tools are the same way anymore. No stationary tools... just order from the picture, other things were so strapped down or high up on the shelf that you really couldn't examine them. I guess much of that comes from thieving customers, who too often strip such tools of key parts like knobs, guards, keys, etc. So, perhaps we've brought this on our selves.

Sears is a bit different, but with lots of people standing around in the hardware dept. but no real service, knowledge, etc. Some dept.s are absolutely empty of sales people, and my wife can't stand to go to Sears anymore. In the hardware dept. tools are in a disarray, often missing parts, showing corrosion, and just an overall mess. No one seems to really care.

I can understand why places like Amazon do such a business, but honestly I like 'brick and mortar' stores. It seems like we do less and less shopping though.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...