• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Where tape measures go to die

My daughter wanted me to fix her slap bracelet with some tape or glue. The part that makes the bracelet loop around your wrist had broken through the vinyl sheath.

Anyway, I was a little surprised to see what that part was made from. There doesn't appear to be any wear on the tape so I'm thinking this was from a reject tape measure.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Recycling at its best!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I saw some antique metal toys that still had the print on the inside from the original metal lard cans they were made from. These were factory made toys so they must have had a good supply of lard cans. Yep, recycling at its best.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Henry Ford, when he was building Model T's, specified the exact size and shape and type of wood that the shipping boxes for parts should be delivered in, in the contracts.
        He then broke up the boxes and had instant cut to size floorboards for his Model T's. Planned Recycling.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Interesting subject.

I remember when my folks bought their first new house back in the mid-50's. My Dad arranged with the builder (a local farmer, who took to building homes on his non-producing land) to buy the house 'unfinished', as he would do a lot of the interior work himself as well as the grading, driveway, etc. Years later, we put on new eaves trough, downspouts, etc. Dad notice that the trim, set in behind the old eaves was rather strange... flat thin strips, just an inch or so wide, and in rather short three foot lengths. So he pulled the first piece off and sure enough, it was a yard-stick. Apparently Dan, the farmer, had gotten hold of a rather large batch of yardsticks from a past Home Show. Home Show's were a very popular event back then, done annually and always free to attend. In our area they were held at the local armory and there was lots of food and free handouts....like those yard stick with someone's promotional information printed on them.

Apparently Dan thought they'd make pretty good trim too,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...