• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Picked up some old pine today

Found some good pine, - A warehouse with some pine shelves off to one side is being cleaned out. I got about 2/3s of it and gave 1/3 to a friend who helped me.

I got over 500 board feet in my estimation. (19) 1x6x 16 ft of mostly clear old heart? pine. Most of it has beautiful grain. Second picture shows some great grain pattern.
    (12) 1x8 x 12 ft. pine, quite a few 1 x 2 x 16 ft of old pine. The 1x2 is more like 2 1/2 wide. and then there are assorted 2x4s and about 20 4ft long 4 wide inch strips.

The 1x8x12 ft is more or less like todays soft pine but it is old and much better quality than is available for soft pine today.

You can see 3 A-frames made of old pine 2x4s in the first picture. My buddy got 5 of those and less 1x. The A-Frames held the boards and were shelves for holding some of their warehouse stuff. I think I had a great haul. We kinda figured this wood is at least 30 to 40 years old, if not older.

I do have ONE PROBLEM: I don't have adequate "longer than 16ft" storage. My storage shed is exactly 16 ft long. It has a roof that extends out for 6 ft to the side. Store it under there - The ends of the boards will be subject to blowing rain. I made a rack for it this afternoon and will cover the ends with visqueen sheeting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by leehljp; 05-19-2016, 09:59 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Great find! Now what are you gonna build?

Via Tapatalk-- Bade
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
      Great find! Now what are you gonna build?

Via Tapatalk-- Bade
      The 16ft long boards - I am afraid to cut those. They are worth a small fortune! They are worth MUCH more than 2 8ft boards!.

Seriously though, my youngest daughter is expecting her 5th child in July and she wants a tripple bunk bed. She has sent me the plans. She won't need it for another year or so.

Even then, I will only use 1/3 of the wood.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Would the board fit in on an angle? But then they'd probably both be in the way and take up much room.

Nice haul!

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's a good haul, Hank. Now it's a race to get them used up.

I like buying shelving from businesses. Usually pretty clean and already milled smooth. Many years ago while riding my bike home from work, I passed a retail outlet that was selling their displays. I drove back and bought a bunch of prefinished shelves that have since made their way into many of my projects.

You're little trailer got a workout! I've been considering a trailer, but the name on this one scared me off:

Harbor Fright 4 x 4 Utility Trailer 2012 - $250

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by gerti
            Would the board fit in on an angle? But then they'd probably both be in the way and take up much room.

Nice haul!
            I looked and looked, took my tape measure inside and checked it out with a helper. It would fit but I have shelves on the back wall that take up 18 inches. I would have to take out the upper section. Too much work. I made some 5 ladder frames yesterday afternoon worked on it last evening. I leveled them up and screwed them to the outside wall,(under the overhang) added some good foundation and ready to put them in sometimes today.

I worked on an end cover (to keep driving/wind rain off) in my mind last night and will explore that today. One advantage to the ladder frame is that I have a bunch of 1 x 2, 1x3 and 1x4 oak 10 ft long that was in 3 church pews.The have been stored inside just laying on top of some boxes from our Japan move. The pews were destroyed along with a small church in a tornado 3 years ago. The pastor asked me if I could make use of the wood and to make him a cross for his office. His church was just recently rebuilt, so I need to get started on that soon.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              That's a good haul, Hank. Now it's a race to get them used up.

I like buying shelving from businesses. Usually pretty clean and already milled smooth. Many years ago while riding my bike home from work, I passed a retail outlet that was selling their displays. I drove back and bought a bunch of prefinished shelves that have since made their way into many of my projects.

You're little trailer got a workout! I've been considering a trailer, but the name on this one scared me off:

Harbor Fright 4 x 4 Utility Trailer 2012 - $250

I purchased my trailer from HF in 2000. Seems like it was about $259, with a 20% coupon bring it down to about $205 plus tax. The most similar model is $379 now.

Mine does not fold in the center like that one does, but the tongue does hinge and allow the trailer to tilt down to load a lawn tractor.

I have replaced the lights with LED lights; it is on its second flooring, the first was pressure treated 3/4 ply but now has PT planking. It has been thoroughly used, Both of my son in laws used it often when I was overseas. It is also on its second set of tires. The first set did not wear out but at 12 years old, I figured I needed to replace them before they dry rotted and had a blowout.
              Last edited by leehljp; 05-20-2016, 07:31 AM.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I have a 4x8 HF trailer that folds in the middle with 12 inch tires. I use it about once a month and have had it about 10 years. The bed is a sheet of 3/4 pressure treated plywood. It has LED lights (also from HF). A friend of my Son's borrowed it for a few weeks and when it came back, it had a coat of stain on all the wood and the wiring was in looms. I installed short sides of 2x4s that are about 1 inch thick and spaced out away from the bed so I can haul 49x97 MDF and melamine.

My wife wants a pickup and we will probably get one but I think this little trailer and a SUV hauls both people and stuff better. One really nice thing about the trailer is I don't worry about it. Dirty stuff, dusty stuff, stuff that scratches can all go in there with no concern. A new bed is the cost of a sheet of plywood. A whole new trailer is ~$300. I don't think I can use a new pickup that way. Too expensive.

Comment

• onedash
                  onedash commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what Line-X is for. It's almost indestructible.
              • poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

I see some antique pine chests in your future. Could make some nice toy boxes for the grand kids.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

My neighbor bought the same HF 4x4 trailer about a year ago. It's seen pretty light duty, but I've looked at it and pulled it a little. For short hauls around town, it's held up pretty well. I'm not sure I would want to pull one cross country, but for the $199 he paid after sale and coupon, it's a decent deal. It was a little tedious for him to assemble single handed though. Good for a throw-in, haul-all, so what if it gets beat up kind of trailer.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by sailor55330
                    My neighbor bought the same HF 4x4 trailer about a year ago. It's seen pretty light duty, but I've looked at it and pulled it a little. For short hauls around town, it's held up pretty well. I'm not sure I would want to pull one cross country, but for the $199 he paid after sale and coupon, it's a decent deal. It was a little tedious for him to assemble single handed though. Good for a throw-in, haul-all, so what if it gets beat up kind of trailer.
                    Mine has the five lug wheels and I have made about 6 round trips to Dallas from Memphis area, about 4 trips to Springfield MO and back and quite a bit of 50 to 100 mile trips, And my son in laws have made numerous more trips hauling things with it. I put new tires on in 2012 just to be on the safe side (avoiding tire rot). It is on its second flooring and sideing too. I replaced the wiring and lights with LEDs back in 2012 also. I have got my money's worth from it for sure.
                    Hank Lee

Comment

Working...