• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Locking hitch pin

Ever wonder if a Dremel cutoff wheel can cut through a locking hitch pin? It can.

I just bought a HF cargo carrier for a roadtrip. I've had a HF locking hitch pin on my car for many many months now with the little rubber cap on it. Key slid in nice and smooth but I could not get the lock off. Tried some WD40 but no joy.

I opted for my Dremel instead of my angle grinder and after 3 discs and then a whack with a hammer, it popped off. Guess I won't be getting another one of those from HF again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-06 12.26.38.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	801127

And of course, it's raining today so made some temporary shelter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-06 12.27.37.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	801128

Not how I wanted to spend my day off.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I keep my hitch in the receiver with a bolt and nylon lock nut. If someone wants it they would have to take the time to unbolt it with 2 wrenches. Thought about the locks but never bought one.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I've cut through a Master lock with one of those dremel wheels, so don't discount the HF pin. A thief isn't likely to bring along a dremel, long power cord, and sit there through 3 discs making noise and being obvious.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I don't think that most lock components are hardened, just tough steel. The battery powered 5" side grinder is a burglars best friend. It will slice through a lock like butter. It also cuts through sheet metal buildings better than a can opener, as local thieves have shown local authorities when they break into storage buildings and many retail businesses.
        Last edited by capncarl; 05-08-2016, 02:42 PM. Reason: Got bit by spell check

Comment

Working...