• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Ellen's Design Challenge

New series of Ellen's Design Challenge started on HGTV this week. Its basically a reality competition for furniture designers/makers. They are not all woodworkers but the designs and construction are really interesting. Picked up a couple of ideas this week. One of the contestants finished an awesome Walnut bed using vinegar and wire wool which essentially ebonized the wood.

If you can get past the silly presenters the rest is really cool and the huge workshop is pretty amazing. If you do watch I am puzzled as to how they keep the noise down and also manage dust collection. You can see a few DCs around the place but I didn't see any being used this week. I would hope they have some huge ambient cleaning system sucking air out above their heads but we cant see that.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

I dvr the first episode and just watched it. Overall I like the show. It would have been cool if they let the contestants bring their own builder or get non TV personalities and showcase them. But I guess it is a design show so maybe they don't want to do that. That's the reason I actually like the one on spike better (can't recall the name) because they both design and build the furniture themselves. I guess they're sponsored by jet and Festool this year.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Sorry guys, I'm out. Enough said
      capncarl

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I started to watch it, but when I saw Festool tools, I punched my TV. :-D

I like it. Not crazy about the designer judges, but I like the projects. It's fun and different.
        Joe

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Never saw it but heard good things--downside of not having cable. I'm currently stuck at work so I watched the season 1 finale. Looks like a pretty good show but I cannot stand Katie's vocal fry (crackle voice). The designs looked great.

Anyway, Tim's design looked familiar to me, too. Too bad it was too familiar.

Also good to see Karl Champley. I liked him in his other shows.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by jussi
            I guess they're sponsored by jet and Festool this year.
            And a huge display of blades from Freud and I think I even saw a large woodcraft banner.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

Working...