Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

What to do on a messy day!

Visit to the sawmill
    Today was a cloudy do-nothing day so I decided to visit Cordrays Sawmill so the wife and I jumped in the car and headed 40 miles west. I stopped in the office and introduced myself and the owner offered to show us around. He showed us the 3000sf workshop with its 4000sf wood storage area packed full of cypress, pine, popular, cherry and oak. Then there was the 150'x50' wood storage shed packed to the ceiling with more lovely lumber, salvage barn wood, plenty of 48"+ wood slabs! I don't believe I have personally seen as many large slabs of cured lumber in any one place. While the owner was showing us his new, under construction 3000sf workshop I asked him where the sawmill was. He answered that he does not have a sawmill or kiln, that he buys this lumber from various sources. This is his own person collection that he plans on building tables, flooring, mantles and other nice furniture out of. I couldn't believe that I had stopped at the wrong place and gotten a tour of his great wood collection! We made a new friend and potential source of really nice wood. I will be back! His prices are acceptable to me.
    Oops, Cordrays Sawmill was just across the road a piece! I saw the sign as I pulled back out on the road. I had gone to the wrong place for sure. I'll check it out later.
    capncarl
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Great story and very jealous of this guys workshop and wood collection. sounds amazing.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Upon seeing better than 10000sf of unusual and much sought out wood, properly stickered and stacked 20 ft high, contractors finishing and wiring a new shop, several workers sorting, metal detecting and pulling out nails and hearing the owner tell about the new 60" wide sander and a new flooring molding machine on order.....yea, I got the impression that we are talking about someone with deep pockets and completely out of my league! The sander is purchased just to sand full size table slabs! The owner and I did agree on one thing, tables are suppose to have 4 legs, not pedestals or other braces under the table to get in the way of your feet!
      capncarl

Comment

Working...