• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Old, but sneaky

A wise old gentleman retired and purchased a modest home near a junior high school. He spent the first few weeks of his retirement in peace and contentment.

Then a new school year began. The very next afternoon three young boys full of youthful after-school enthusiasm came down his street beating merrily on every trash can they encountered. The crashing percussion continued day after day, until finally the wise old man decided it was time to take some action.

The next afternoon, he walked out to meet the young percussionists as they banged their way down the street. Stopping them, he said, "You kids are a lot of fun. I like to see you express your exuberance like that. I used to do the same thing when I was your age. Will you do me a favor? I'll give you each a dollar if you'll promise to come around every day and do your thing."

The kids were elated and continued to do a bang-up job on the trashcans. A few days later, the wily retiree approached them again as they drummed their way down the street. "Look" he said. "I haven't received my Social Security (Pension) check yet, so I'm not going to be able to give you more than 25 cents. Will that be okay?"

"A lousy quarter?" the drum leader exclaimed. "If you think we're going to waste our time beating these cans around for a quarter, you're nuts! No way, mister. We quit!"

And the old man enjoyed peace and serenity for the rest of his days.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Hehe, a little crafty reverse psychology can go a long way.
    Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

With age comes wisdom...usually. It did in this case.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

A young woman who worked for me at one time would argue that the old man should have taken out a loan to pay the poor kids.

PS She didn't work for me long.
        Richard

Comment

• NewDIYer
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2012
          • Southington, CT
          • Ryobi BT3000

Similar incidence..

Friend of mine had a nephew and niece jumping up and down on his new sofa. He indicated to the children that if they kept jumping up and down on the sofa then the sofa will break and you will then have no sofa to jump up and down on. He then reasoned that if you want to jump up and down on this sofa in the future, then do not jump up and down on it now.

The confused children stopped jumping. and the sofa survived

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

After garbage pick up, take your trash cans around back. That is an eyesore leaving them on the street like that.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
              With age comes wisdom...usually. It did in this case.

I'm going to disagree—Age brings not wisdom, but perspective. It give a person the chance to look back, with fond regret, at temptations you've resisted.
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...