X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Really P***ed at my plumbers

Well, actually, the company my FIL/landlord uses.

As I've said before, informal lease to own on the house my wife's grandfather built.

Earlier this year, we had to have the hot water tank replaced. We weren't sure if the old one was installed to code, etc., and if the plumbing is inside walls, involves soldering, or involves a gas line, I ain't touching it!!! The water heater job met 2 of the three things, so we hired them out. Took them 2 or three visits to get things right (small gas leak, etc.). Wasn't really happy then, but I didn't say too much, since FIL footed the bill, and the problem was taken care of pretty fast.

While they were there, we asked for a quote on moving another gas line about 8" (long story, but for what I was doing, I had to have it moved) to a wall heater we never use, but have it for emergencies. Got the quote, guy said they could come back in a few days to get it. They kept cancelling the appointment because "something came up." Finally got the guy back out to do the job, but he told 3 different stories to my wife and me as to why he missed the appointment the day I took off work for him to do the job.

Okay, now why I'm peeved. We're redoing my older son's bedroom. At one time, his closet was significantly larger than it is now. When the HVAC was put in back in the 70's, part of his closet was closed off and became the furnace closet. A new doorway was cut into his bedroom for servicing the unit.

2 or 3 years ago, the system was replaced. A new furnace access was cut in the ceiling of a little hallway we have, and the furnace was put in the attic. This company has come out several times to fix mistakes they made, and the FIL has footed the bill. Other than time and frustration, none of their mistakes have cost me anything.

When working on my son's bedroom the other night, we decided to rip out some of the old sheetrock around the old HVAC service door. We're going to give the old HVAC closet back to my son so that his closet is the original size/layout that it was when it was first built. Anyway, as soon as I pulled some of the sheetrock out, I had one of those "Holy ****" moments. Stuffed inside the wall was the power feed for the old furnace/blower motor. Bare copper was visible from where it was cut. Wife ran and got me the most basic of circuit testers...the little two lead light bulb unit. The circuit was still hot!

Bare copper, still live, stuffed into the wall of my house. It's probably a miracle from God that we didn't have a house fire. Since I had it all opened up, my wife called the FIL and tried to explain things to him. He kept saying that it couldn't be what we were saying, or that it was an accident, etc., because the owner of the company is a personal friend (through church activities). Only after sending him some pictures did he relent and agree that it was negligence, pure and simple.

I tripped the breaker, and followed the circuit back to the outlet box that was feeding the circuit. In 5 minutes, I had things fixed. The HVAC folks could and should have done the same thing. The amazing thing is that they could have done this without opening up the wall, since the circuit wasn't even stapled to the studs. Instead, they just cut it flush and stuffed things back in the wall where it wasn't visible.

I'm to the point of telling my FIL that this company can go pound sand, that I'd rather pay someone else out of my pocket more money that to have these idiots step foot in my house ever again. I had only thought they had cost me just time and frustration...now I know that they nearly cost me the lives of everyone and every animal living in my house.

I'm not going to post the name of the company in this rant, but if you're in the Mont., AL area and want to know who it is, send me a PM and I will tell you. I just had to rant a little and get this off my chest.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Although I agree that they should not have left it in an engerized condition and perhaps should have taped over the end romex cut straight across is not exactly a huge hazard and will not spontaniously ignite. I'd not let them in again either, but then I do my own work. If I don't know how to do something I research and learn.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Mark, I wish it was romex. The wiring in this part of the house still has cloth insulation...which is what the circuit was going to the unit. It was cut in such a way that it would most likely have completed the circuit if it touched anything.

BTW: cloth insulation SUCKS!!! It gets brittle and falls off over time. Not a good combination with metal gang boxes.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Well then that is a whole different deal. Are you sure you really want to own that house?
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.

Once it is completely ours, we'll have the original section rewired. As it is now, we do have the wiring inspected to make sure it's okay. When we do work or have it done, new wire is run. Eventually it will all be replaced, one way or the other.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

JSU, if its an option, if the site is truly desirable..... raze it and start from scratch. You will be so much happier and you will probably end up saving money...
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by JSUPreston
              Once it is completely ours, we'll have the original section rewired. As it is now, we do have the wiring inspected to make sure it's okay. When we do work or have it done, new wire is run. Eventually it will all be replaced, one way or the other.
              If you don't have direct access, how do you pull wire without conduit?

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.

Ideally, the house would be leveled and rebuilt further back on the lot. However, that will never happen due to sentimental reasons. My wife's grandfather built the original section of the house when he wasn't at work.

To answer another question, we're slowly working around the original section of the house and replacing a lot of brittle 50 year old sheet rock. As we open up the walls, anything we can replace is replaced (fortunately no aluminum is in the walls). There is some wiring under the house that we will have someone else replace, since my fat butt won't fit. The crawl space under the original section is so tight in places, we would need to bring in a middle school cheerleader to pull the wire.

It's a quirky old house, but we're getting it cheap, and we like the neighborhood. Just wish our schools were better. I think at this point, it would take an incredible job offer in another city to get us to even consider moving. Having the in-laws close by has been more of a blessing than a curse.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Family close by, even if they are in laws is a blessing, especially if you have children. You have an ongoing project my friend, I hope your wife is understanding of that fact!
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...