• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Dodge Rammed Deer

The other night, Wednesday, LOML and I were coming home from bowling in Pensacola. We travel a two lane stretch of Highway 90 known to be frequented by deer at night.
    Seen at least one on almost every trip home. Traveled weekly for several years now.
    The unthinkable happened and there was NOTHING I could do about it. I was travelling at exactly 55 MPH. I had looked just prior. Traffic was coming, so I dimmed my lights. There were deep ditches on both sides of the road. The next thing I know is an 80 to 90 pound spike is running across in front of me left to right about 10 feet away. By the time I had hit him, he was almost clear, but directly in front of the right or LOML's headlight. Anti-lock brakes locked up for a second and I had swerved slightly to attempt a miss. I felt the tires run over probably a leg or two. He totally went under the bumper.

I feel we were extremely fortunate. The replacement part was the front bumper rebar at less than $100.00.
    Nothing else was damaged. 06 Dodge Dakota. Could have been much worse.

I actively look for deer at night no matter where I am. Even so, this deer could have just as well came through the windshield.
    I now have deer whistlers on the front of all our vehicles. The point of the post is to ask if there may be something else I can do to avoid them in the future or how has your experience been using whistlers?
    Lee
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I smoked me a doe a few years back and wasn't quite as lucky as you were damage wise. Just like you, she came out of nowhere and I never saw her until it was too late and, it was in the middle of the day. Next thing I know bang, $3600 damage to the front end of the Explorer and I needed to have the fender pulled away from the tire in order to drive away. As far as those whistles go, I've read that they both do and don't work so flip a coin on that issue. Lots of big deer here

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I had one bounce off the Saturn leaving our R&D campus a while back when I was working an after hours maintenance window. Bigger than a spike, but not a monster, probably 6 or so points... Don't think I did major damage to him, pushed the bumper on the car down a hair. Was doing maybe 20 when I saw him, and was almost stopped at contact.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I left my brothers house one night, and saw some up in front of me, and came to a stop. When I did, three ran out and jumped over my hood (Ford Festiva). I hadn't and still haven't seen that many together, inside of a city, at one time. Thankfully no damage. I've seen enough perfectly good vehicles, totaled, due to a deer hit.
        My uncle had 12k of damage done to his motorcycle this year, when one ran out in front of him. He was knocked off, and is considering giving up the motorcycle after that.

I have known only one person who believed in those deer whistles, and his joke was, do you know how hard it is for a deer to run up and blow on one of them, while your moving?

Is there another route?
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Shep
          • Nov 2008
          • Columbus, OH
          • Hitachi C10FL

My father is an insurance agent who use to give out the deer whistles. He stopped a long time ago because they didn't help his customers.
          -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Maybe train horns like this would work better.

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Seen several deer on our trip to Duluth today. Never hit one, but JUST missed a steer several years ago. He'd joined a bunch of his buddies that had walked onto the highway. We stopped at a tavern a mile or so down the road and told the locals. "Oh, old Joe must have left the gate open again," was their only response.
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                Established Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Conway, SC.
                • BT3000

Back in Oct. of 2010 a deer jumped in front of my '04 Dakota. It caused almost $4000.00 in damage. Most damage was under the hood - trans cooler, radiator, etc..
                My understanding is in the fall the bucks become very aggressive during "rutting season". They care more about 4 legs and ignore 4 wheels.

If the pics come thru, you can see hair in the cracked grill and something very brown on the fender trim - you can guess what it is.

Conwaygolfer

Looks like all the pics did not make it. Oh well.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by conwaygolfer; 09-11-2012, 09:07 PM. Reason: explaination

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

A friend of my niece was killed in one of these accidents. Deer came out of nowhere and went through the windshield.
                  Richard

Comment

• kevinsa
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2008

I don't think there's anything more you can do to avoid them other than exercising the caution you already do. I know of two cases where a deer actually rammed and dented stopped vehicles. This is probably the only other thing that might be useful:

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Comment

• luteman
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • Northern Michigan
                      • BT3100-1

Be careful installing those "deer whistles" because if you install them backwards, the deer will follow you home........ just sayin'

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Thanks, Guys. Good stuff.
                        These whistles were just over $6.00, so cheap enough to take a chance on. I think slowing down in the areas where there are deep ditches will be my best bet. I liked the brush guard idea. The cost is a bit rough though. I want one designed like that to cover the windshield too though.
                        I'll keep a good watch on them as usual too.
                        Lee

Comment

Working...