• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

No Traders Today

Today was our monthly bulk trash pick up. Our pile was primarily 4 palm trees that stood about 20ft. They were next to our driveway and were a constant mess. So, yesterday we had them cut down and cut up, to be placed for bulk pick up.

Usually the day before and the day of the pick up there are those that are interested in free stuff, that cruise neighborhoods. There are also "traders", who are those that take from your pile, and leave some of there own junk. We didn't get anything this time.

But, the trash guy that does the collecting knocked on our door complaining about our pile. Says the tree trunks were too big (their length for their diameter). I've watched how they do what they do, and they use a huge truck with a boomed mounted clamshell loader (something like this). That thing would have no problem with our stack. He made a big deal about the proper stack size and the sizes of stuff in it. He finally relented and picked up the stack. What a PITA.

• sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Who handles your refuse disposal, a private contractor or your municipality? Here, it's the City who does it and they just love to feel important by quoting rules and regulations to the letter every chance they get. You're correct, PITA.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by sweensdv
      Who handles your refuse disposal, a private contractor or your municipality? Here, it's the City who does it and they just love to feel important by quoting rules and regulations to the letter every chance they get. You're correct, PITA.
      Ours is the City. The last time we had a big stack, our neighbor had a small one and said I could add to his. The driver refused to pick up his because he said he had my stuff on his pile. What a crock!

One other time our neighbors' stack was close to ours and the driver said we were only allowed one stack.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

What an a$$ clown... the city guys around here don't care. One colorful fella stated with a southern accent: "pile it high, pile it high" the more the better I guess. One neighbor told me that the general rule is if it can burn they'll take it!
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
          What an a$$ clown... the city guys around here don't care. One colorful fella stated with a southern accent: "pile it high, pile it high" the more the better I guess. One neighbor told me that the general rule is if it can burn they'll take it!
          I think they make a stink about the pile thinking they can be bribed. The driver actually left the truck parked in front of the pile for about five minutes, and then came to the house and rang the doorbell to complain. He acted like the tree trunk sections were too long (they were cut into 3' pieces), and he shouldn't pick them up. I'll just bet he was lookin' for a handout.

I told him he was good at what he does, and just to do the best he could. He turned, walked back, and picked up the pile.

Comment

Working...