X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Little sucker just won't quit

I've been eyeing planers recently, with the DW734 being put on clearance at my local HDs. The Ridgid 3-knife looks good as well, but I've really been holding out on a great deal on a DW735 with the ejector.

As it is though, I haven't been able to justify any of it with how well my Ryobi works. I bought it over a year ago off of CL for $100. Bought the dust chute and replacement blades, but I haven't had to change them out yet. Gives such a good surface with the ones that are still out there. Looks like crap (broken pieces, but it all functions), but I can't seem to justify replacing it because it simply just works. Loud as all get-out, but it works.

Ever have one of those tools that just won't die? (And you're thankful for it)
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • Dal300
    Banned
    • Aug 2011
    • East Central Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I have an old old old B&D 2 1/2" x 16" (maybe 18"), belt sander. I really want a bigger, better, newer model but this thing just keeps going and I have about 100 belts of different grits waiting to be used.
    I've used it to flatten 32" X 10' counter tops and it get's hot but never quits.

dammit

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
      Looks like crap (broken pieces, but it all functions), but I can't seem to justify replacing it because it simply just works. Loud as all get-out, but it works.

They're all LOUD !
      Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

No, can't say that I have.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

Is your Ryobi an AP-10 (if that is what the original model is)? I have one I bought for $100 from a friend at church. It barely worked when I got it but it was just dull blades (very dull). I sharpened them and bought a spare set and it works great. It does not hold a real consistent thickness but it doesn't lock in position so I guess that is to be expected. It will also snipe if I let it. The 10 inch width is an issue occasionally but not normally. I'd like to find the dust chute for it so I could attach it to my DC. For now, I drag it outside (and then carry the shavings off into the woods).

Jim

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by JimD
            Is your Ryobi an AP-10 (if that is what the original model is)? I have one I bought for $100 from a friend at church. It barely worked when I got it but it was just dull blades (very dull). I sharpened them and bought a spare set and it works great. It does not hold a real consistent thickness but it doesn't lock in position so I guess that is to be expected. It will also snipe if I let it. The 10 inch width is an issue occasionally but not normally. I'd like to find the dust chute for it so I could attach it to my DC. For now, I drag it outside (and then carry the shavings off into the woods).

Jim
            AP1300, actually. The height creeps up a hair after you lock it in, but I suppose that's better than reverse.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

I bought a Rockwell M-100 router at a flea market over 15 years ago. Still going strong and it's my go-to for trimming, final round overs, etc.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

Working...