©

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      Saturday night injected it with a brine solution and rubbed it all over in Kosher salt.
      Paul
      It is very important to use kosher salt on a hog otherwise it is just sacrilege.
      Alex V

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Black wallnut
        Pic Paul, we need pics.
        Here ya' go:

Before:

Almost 10 hours after. 30-45 minutes to go to color up the hooves and snout.

Comment

• Dal300
          Banned
          • Aug 2011
          • East Central Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

+1 on the successful feast!

++1 on using feral hogs for the other guys.

+++1 on using a 7.62X39 SKS, (ball round?), I've taken down several 250 pounders here with those. Head shot, no damage to the meat, just be sure where the round wil exit and end up. Don't want it to hit some neighbor a half mile away.

I now use my 20 gauge with a slug. They drop like a bad habit.

For cooking, since the wife is from NC, I split the hog and bury half in the ground for me, half on a slow grill, (225°) for her. Pulled pork with Eastern North Carolina sauce is really good, but baked in the ground is much better.

The only way to do baked in the ground is to make your bed of coals, then rocks, then wet boards, then more rocks, then more boards, then a layer of canebrake, (it grows along ditches here in Tx), then the half hog, then more rocks, then a big pile of canebrake, then a FEMA tarp over all of it with another layer of canebrake over that. Cook for 36 hours and then uncover slowly. You'll see the heat release and if you do it too fast you'll lose the juices from the meat.

BTW, Goat and Sheep work well this way also, I haven't had a lot of luck doing a 1/4 beef.

Edit
          I'm looking for a couple of goats to trim back the big weeds along our fence line. This is the right time of the year to start that and then do a great goat bake in the ground.
          If someone wants to contribute a couple, I would be happy to invite and share for up to about 20-30 people!
          Last edited by Dal300; 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM. Reason: adding a request

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

That looks real nice Paul, bet it was delicious!
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Sure looks great and I'm sure the whole process as well as the party itself made for one memorable event. Now you need to turn it into an annual tradition!

We had a young engineer in our company back in the late 90's who had apparently learned this whole process from his family. Mario started doing it every year and it was only after I moved up to that department did I get invited.

I gotta tell ya, it was terrific. All the younger guys used to jump in and give him a hand and for the three or four years he was with the company it was a much talked about and much looked forward to event.

Congratulations on your success,

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...