Customer Service Question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • 1818
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

    #1

    Customer Service Question

    OK, so maybe I'm uptight, or maybe I'm having bad luck getting good CS lately. Or maybe I'm an idiot. Who knows.

    But answer me this- if you brought in a pen kit that had a damaged part, would you expect the whole kit to be replaced, or just that part? Remember we're not talking about a large piece of machinery here.

    Here's the situation: I had built a Majestic that I purchased from Rockler. The centerband was loose. Meaning, the TiN coated decorative ring moved freely inside the chrome/ whatever outer parts of the band. Had to explain if you don't know the pen, but let's just say that it rattled, and that's not something you expect on a $60 kit (I paid less, with coupons, and at Penn State Ind they're like $35, but that's their normal retail at Rockler). So, I tried to disassemble the kit, and found that I couldn't do so without basically cutting into the barrel/ tube and scrap it.

    I bring the kit into Rocker, expecting a total swap out. Just recently, I had a El Grande from them (different store) that they swapped out the whole thing, and replaced the Bloodwood blank that I used (since I was basically completely finished- just needed to assemble). I didn't even have to ask to have the blank replaced. At Woodcraft, they did the same, minus replacing the blank (I didn't ask).

    At this Rockler store, the manager said he'd replace the centerband- and that's it. Initially, he said he wanted to build up his stock of spare parts. I was curious, and mentioned that usually they just replace the whole kit, and send the defective kit to the manufacturer.

    So, since the cap tubve was detroyed trying to disassemble the kit for the band, I asked if they could swap the entire kit, as per usual. His response was "I'm sure you'd LOVE for me to give you a $60 kit for FREE" (I stiffled a comment saying that it's only $60 with the rediculous markup over the PSI website). I'm thinking "No, not free. You'd take my kit that is assembled with the defective center band." and make a comment to that end. No deal. So, I asked if I could get the tubes from the kit, and he said no. I asked then if I could BUY the tubes from the kit. His retort was that I could buy the whole thing for half off, as a defect. I pointed out that it IS defective, since the centerband is loose, and I STILL wouldn't have the tubes I need. I left out the fact that 50% off of what they sell it for is the price of the kit from PSI, so I might as well buy it from them complete. So that was it- he wouldn't swap the kit or separate out the tubes. I didn't say word one in argument, since I was too tired to bother.

    Walking away from the store (after purchasing some blanks on clearance), I decided that I never will go to that Rockler store ever again. There's a larger, nicer one not too far away anyways, and I know the manager. And since they all get their wood from the same corporate wood warehouse, there's really no need at all to go tothe smaller, more out-of-the-way store.

    Now, Rockler's a good company, and if I called their CS 1-800 number, I'm almost positive I could ask and get a set of tubes to be sent. Maybe not, but I've had service in line with that from them before. The only thing stopping me from doing so, is I don't want to get the manager in trouble. Sounds odd, but I just think he's green as far as being a manager- so I'm don't want him to get any flak for what I believe to be poor service.

    What do you guys think? Am I wrong? Do you think they should have swapped the whole kit, or at least provided replacement tubes? Or did the manager handle things correctly?

    Thanks, I'm curious to see if my perception of what should have been done is off of the norm.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #2
    If he wants to swap out the centerband and wrecking another part of the kit is a requirement for that then he should replace the other parts also to make your kit whole. If he didn't make you whole then you should call Rockler and report this. If his offer would have made you whole but it wasn't the offer you wanted, then he did not do anything wrong. He wants to make you whole but you rejected that.
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

    Comment

    • Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • 6021
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

      #3
      My take on it is that he should have replaced the kit for you. I wouldn't worry about him getting some flak from higher ups. Give them a call to see what they'll do. If they don't help, maybe he made the right choice. But I'd put my money on you getting a new kit.

      Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

      For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

      Comment

      • Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • 7091
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

        #4
        Dealers stocking individual pen kit parts are few and far between. Beyond the tubes and refills, you're not gonna find much. Pen kits come off the boat from China by the case. Nobody's gonna worry about an individual part for 99% of them. Your dealer should replace the whole kit, because that's what the importer is gonna do for him.

        Comment

        • toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 1142
          • westchester cnty, ny

          #5
          i'd make real sure i got what i paid for. period. if that means calling a corporate CS line, all that matters is that you get what you paid for. you're not asking for charity here, just value for payment made. rockler's not a huge company but large enough to fall victim to my basic princple of obtaining satisfaction: when the individual you are dealing with isn't providing what you are entitled to, move up the chain of command until you find the guy with enough auithority to provide what you want. that individual usually adopts a "just give the customer what he wants and get him off my back" attitude and you get what you are entitled to.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

          Comment

          • herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • 1867
            • New York City
            • bt3100

            #6
            The remark about getting a $60 kit for free would have pulled the trigger for me. Whatever position he takes, i'm pretty sure Rockler doesn't want him saying that.
            Besides, as others have said, all he has to do is return the kit as defective, even swap, no problem.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

            Comment

            • BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • 1818
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

              #7
              Originally posted by herb fellows
              The remark about getting a $60 kit for free would have pulled the trigger for me. Whatever position he takes, i'm pretty sure Rockler doesn't want him saying that.
              Besides, as others have said, all he has to do is return the kit as defective, even swap, no problem.
              Yeah, that kinda cemented teh fact that I never have to go to that store ever again. I'll go to the other Rockler store, just noyt that one.
              Last edited by BigguyZ; 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM.

              Comment

              • billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • 1868
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

                #8
                I would report it. If you were an executive with Rockler, wouldn't you want to know this? If the manager is green, and doesn't understand customer service, this could be an important lesson in how to handle a situation that he will see many times in his career. Right now he is a poor manager. This could help him get better, or find a profession that he is more suited for.

                Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

                Comment

                • cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 4503
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

                  #9
                  Originally posted by billwmeyer
                  I would report it. If you were an executive with Rockler, wouldn't you want to know this?
                  Agree 100%. They need to know where the managers need more training. You aren't doing the manager or Rockler any help by ignoring the problem.

                  Comment

                  • BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • 1818
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

                    #10
                    UPDATE- I called last week, I think the 12th. Anyways, I spoke to the CS rep, and she was very understanding and helpful.

                    The next day, I received a call from the manager, who advised me that I can have the rest of the kit. Not too friendly, but I understand why he wouldn't be.

                    Anyway, I went into the store, and I was happy to see that the manager wasn't there. I walked up to one of the employees, and explained that I have a replacement for the pen waiting for me. He was going to grab another brand new kit, but I let him know that there should be a specific kit already set aside in the closet. He grabbed the kit, and the replacement was already rung up on a tag attached to the box. I took the new centerband that I was originally given, gave them the old centerband in the kit box, and the assembled pen body and loose cap parts.

                    That was it- simple and easy. Kinda like how it should have happened from the start, IMHO.

                    But I was talking to the guys and explained what happened, that the manager refused to just do a clean swap out of the kit, and they seemes really confused. Meaning, they were wondering why the manager would do that. One even asked if it wasn't the assistant manager- thinking the actual manager wouldn't make that mistake. I told them the name, and the employee said "Yep, that's the manager...". So yeah, they thought it odd that the issue was handled how it was originally as well.

                    Since then, I've gone back one more time- though it was only to get $5 panache kits.

                    Comment

                    • dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 9561
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

                      #11
                      Just FWIW, you are experiencing what I have experienced with other items at Rockler's main competitor. (Name withheld for decency sake, but you guys can take a good guess...)

                      I thought it was just me being unreasonable, but LOML has been to both Rockler and the other place with me. Every time I end up going to, the other vendor, she asks me "why don't you go to Rockler instead, you get better service there..."

                      I guess it has to do with the local store management or something...

                      Aren't Rockler and the other one franchise businesses?
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

                      Comment

                      • cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • 4503
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

                        #12
                        Originally posted by dbhost
                        Aren't Rockler and the other one franchise businesses?
                        According to en employee at my Rockler:

                        Rockler stores are all owned by Rockler. There are some Rockler "affiliates" that are located inside small lumber yards, etc., that basically resell Rockler gear. But if the sign outside says "Rockler" and nuttin' else, it is owned by the corporate office.

                        Woodcraft has some company-owned stores as well as some franchises, I believe.

                        Comment

                        Working...