• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

"Parking" lights

Paul's question about running lights triggered one of my pet peeves — what's with all the idiots driving with just their parking lights on? And why do cars still have parking lights, it's not like people actually use them for parking!
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I thought I was the only one who had a pet peeve about driving with parking lights on!
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Probably folks that have heard "daytime running lights" reduce accident rates... so they drive their older non-DRL car with some lights on in a poor mimicry attempt.

mpc

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

There is also the guy who drives around with only one front parking light on.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• BearPipes-1
          Established Member
          • May 2006
          • Silicon Valley, CA
          • Ryobi BT3100

Hooray! Others who are peeved by driving with parking lights on!

I wish I actually knew someone who does this so I could ask them what they're thinking.

Here's what the California vehicle code says:
          Lighted Parking Lamps

24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

Amended Ch. 58, Stats. 1961. Effective September 15, 1961.
          What's complicated about that?!?!
          Don't just say no to kickback.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • sears BT3 clone

That law has only been on the books for 48 years, some folks are slow learners.

I've never figured out why they feel the need to turn on some lights but not all of them. What is the thought/logic process?
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• sparkeyjames
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Redford MI.
              • Craftsman 21829

Some of us don't have much of a choice. Some cars do this automatically. GM tried the running lights for a year or two before settling on main lights all the time. My Saturn turns on the runners as soon as it starts.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • sears BT3 clone

The parking and daylight running lights are the same in your vehicles? The GM vehicles I've seen have a clear set of lights in the front, or the headlights at a dimmer setting that come on automatically.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Redford MI.
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                  The parking and daylight running lights are the same in your vehicles? The GM vehicles I've seen have a clear set of lights in the front, or the headlights at a dimmer setting that come on automatically.
                  The Saturn I have only turns on the amber lights in the front not the headlights.

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

I do drive with parking lights on if it is cloudy. If it is raining, then I go for headlights. I should be commended for even bothering to turn any lights on.

Truck is an 87 chevy.

I find some driving lights to be distracting by themselves. Those green blue looking ones are the worst. Then you have some that drive around with brights on all day. They can't tell they have them on because they can't see the dash light indicating high beams. That is distracting for sure.

In Germany, most of the European cars I owned had parking lights. Both would come on, but when you switched the turn indicator on as well, then only the lights on that side of the vehicle would light. Marking the edge of the car on the street side. Pretty cool I think.

Sorry to be the culprit chapping everyones hide. It's doubtful that I will change though.
                    Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i know you're not supposed to have the parking lights on for driving but i don;t let it bother me. So many people do so many other things wrong this is low on the peeve scale.

It's intended that you think the car is parked if the parking lights are on, of course this only helps from the front anyway. and its really only useful to know that the car is parked when approaching from the front or rear. So many people have these things on you always confirm if the car is parked or moving, as a matter of course.

For example, way More irritating is people who drive merrily down the freeway for miles with the left turn signal blinking then change lanes right without any warning.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

I'm more concerned about the people who can't tell the difference between the left and right turn signals. I've seen a few.
                        Alex

Comment

• gerti
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Ahh, turn signals. Many folks here can't be bothered anymore to use them because they need their left hand for the cell phone, or are just plain to cool to use them. Many others use them as the car starts turning, also very pointless (they are meant to indicate your intention). Sigh...

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by Stytooner

In Germany, most of the European cars I owned had parking lights. Both would come on, but when you switched the turn indicator on as well, then only the lights on that side of the vehicle would light. Marking the edge of the car on the street side. Pretty cool I think.

I've had a few BMW's that had that, and can't remember if my Porsches did. You could actuate one side or the other with the ignition off. It does make that side more visible, especially at night.

I would guess the original use of parking lights was to establish size, presence and positioning. Side marker lights help too. Every little bit helps.

Comment

• gjat
                              • Nov 2005
                              • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                              • BT3100

I can tolerate the parking lights since most of our company vehicles are commerical, we require lights on at all times, including pick-ups. My lights are always on.

What I can't stand is people driving with the hazard lights. If it's that much of a hazard, get the **** off the road. The hazard lights are meant to warn others if you've broken down near or on the travel lane, not to be careful because you're freaking out driving in the rain or you have a cast iron stove strapped to your roof with thread.

Hear in FLA, people turn them on sometimes in heavy downpours and it always freaks me out. 1- They're not that visible and often I think someone put on the brakes. 2- They're meant for being broken down so I fear I'm coming up on a stalled vehicle in the road or someone who is pulling off. 3- If they're driving with them I automatically figure they're idiots and I worry what other stupid thing they're going to do in the rain.

Comment

Working...