• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Used car warranty

We pretty well thrashed out dealer warranties but what of the ones that you hear advertised on the radio for your current car? I'm guessing that the older and higher the mileage the greater the cost. I'm driving a 12 year old truck with 110K miles on it and with my recent health issues it looks like it will have to last until... whenever. So, have any of you had experience with these types of companies?

As always, TIA!
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I don't have any experience with that, but I'd be a little reluctant to buy insurance online. Especially with the economy in the shape it's in. I look for a lot of businesses to go under after they get people's money. Not that they'll do it purposely, but it's a sign of the times. Maybe if you could pay monthly, you wouldn't have too much to lose if they do go under.

Sorry to hear of your health issues.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JeffG78
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
      • BT3100

12 years and 110k? That's barely broken in. I have 20 years and 251k on my truck and it's my DD. I would drive it anywhere without much worry. Unfortunately, it is getting rusty here in Michigan.

My take is that these companies are not in business to hand out free money. The survive by collecting way more money than they put out. Most used car warranties have major limitations and lots of fine print. They almost always include deductables as well, limiting their true value.

Comment

Working...