• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

wireless keyboards and mice

As I prepare to feed my wireless keyboard and mouse more AA and AAA batteries, I stop to wonder, what technical / economic hurdles are preventing the wireless device manufacturers from developing a way to power these devices wirelessly

I would imagine that by turning the reciever that plugs into the usb port a .5W transmitter you could put a reciever into the keyboard so that when you are not typing, it's either charging, or even better, have no active power on the device at all, but act sorta like the way an ID badge does,

The badge reader sends out little pulses of RF that an antenna in the badge picks up, translates that into current, runs that current through a chip whip then pulses out a RF signal of it's own with a code embedded in it

I'm pretty sure that with a little effort, the propeller heads at logitech or microsoft could make this work. This wouldn't work that well over 6 or more feet, but for a majority of the users that I know if, we are talking about a distance between the xmitter and the keyboard of only 24" or less

shoot, I bet if you built the reciever right, you could build it to allow you to track the location of something like a stylus on your desktop, sort of like a digitizer pad, but without the actual tablet...

if anyone makes this works and makes bucks on it, remember me and send me some kit
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Funny you should post this as my mouse has started acting up again - usually a sign that the batteries need changing AGAIN!!

There are a number of wireless mice that take recargeable batteries and they have a docking station which trickle charges them when your not using it.

Wireless power is a very big issue and if anybody ever manages to turn Newtons Conservation of Energy (law 2) on its head they will be very rich. The basic problem is in order to charge something you need power. Given all the issues with the supposed "dangers" of cellphone radio emmisions, I dont think anybody is going to want high power wireless transmissions anywhere near their bodies. E.g. high power microwave dish transmitters can damage birds should they fly through the line of sight transmissions.

There is work on proximity based chargers (for the life of me I forget the name) that dont require wires based on inductive technology. You would leave the device on (or near) a charging pad. Most of these solutions would still be trickle charging so to do anything decent you will still need to plug them in.

I dont see any options in the near future that will rapid charge our power tools - sorry
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Yeah, Poolhound's point is right on. Electricity requires You can't encode electricity for wireless transmission the way you can data.

JR
      JR

Comment

• cwithboat
        • Jan 2008
        • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
        • Craftsman Pro 21829

Tesla forever!
        regards,
        Charlie
        A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
        Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• jonmulzer
          • Dec 2007
          • Indianapolis, IN

How often do you guys have to change yours? What brand and model? I run Logitech MX3000's on my computer and I would guess that I replace the batteries in the mouse every 6 months and about once a year for the keyboard, maybe a touch more often. I do not see that as any sort of nuisance.
          "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• steve-norrell
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • The Great Land - Alaska
            • BT3100-1

I have been using the wireless mouse and keyboard (Logitech) for a couple of years. I got tired of changing the batteries in the mouse, but those in the keyboard seem to last forever.

I ended up getting a Logitech Mx Laser mouse that has rechargable batteries. It works great if I remember to put it in the charging stand.

Still using ordinary batteries in the keyboard.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Mine is a Viewsonic, I've had it for a while. I must go through a set of batteries every couple of months its a PITA. I do use my computer for many hours each day.

I think I need to go get one of the rechargeable ones with a base. Anybody got one they would reccommend?
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• scmhogg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

Charlie's got it right. Nicola Tesla tested this concept in the 1880's.

When my son was in high school, we built a Tesla Coil that would light up flourescent bulbs a foot away from the coil.

Steve
                I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• iceman61
                  • Oct 2007
                  • West TN
                  • Bosch 4100-09

Wireless electricity has been around for ages...in the form of lightning

(couldn't resist)

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

I think they could design a way to use far less battery power. Perhaps a button style battery with little solar cells to assist.
                    Don't some calculators operate this way? A rechargeable button battery with solar cells should surely work to transmit that short distance. The first keystroke turns it on. Have a delay after the last keystroke and then start charging again provided there is a light source.
                    Lee

Comment

• gjat
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
                      I think they could design a way to use far less battery power. Perhaps a button style battery with little solar cells to assist.
                      Don't some calculators operate this way? A rechargeable button battery with solar cells should surely work to transmit that short distance. The first keystroke turns it on. Have a delay after the last keystroke and then start charging again provided there is a light source.
                      Most calculators are dual power. You could put the solar voltaic panel in the mouse by making the top clear. I think one of the biggest power consumers must be the laser which is why the keyboard batteries last longer.

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

I'm not sure if this post was profetic but my mouse was driving me so made this afternoon I just went out a bought a new one. I just got the Logitech LX7. It supposedly has a power saving feature and an on/off button which they claim should give me 8 months (or more) battery life.

I guess we will see wont we

Will repost here in 8 months - or NOT

FYI it does have a very nice left/right scroll feature as well as browser forward back buttons.
                        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

I've got a Microsoft rig, and the keyboard batteries last about a year. The mouse batteries last a little more than 9 months (they are both on all the time). I get warning messages when the batteries in either are low, and can still get a month of use after the messages appear. Not really a nuisance of any kind.

Comment

• JeffG78
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                            • BT3100

I too have a Microsoft mouse and it seems to last between 6 and 9 months.

This may sound like a dumb idea, but why couldn't the mouse pad be wired which would feed the wireless mouse? All it would have to do is provide a small charge through proximety to the rechargeable mouse batteries. The mouse would then work away from the pad for 6 months or more. It would be similar to the docking station, but passive. The user wouldn't have to remember to dock it. My rechargeable toothbrush has no exposed contacts and charges on this pricipal. I would think that the mouse pad could work the same way. The mouse would still be free from a cord, but would be charging anytime it's being used on the desk. Would that work? Is it stupid?

Comment

Working...