• Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

1 1/2 Horsepower Craftsman Router

This isn't a gloat,

I just bought a 1 1/2 HP 1/2" collet craftsman router w/out seeing it for $30 bucks,

friends dad passed, and that is what they asked for it

are craftsman routers in general worthwhile?
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It sure is a gloat and a good one. If everything works they are pretty good routers. I have a few, and can't complain. Parts are usually available.

Comment

• pierhogunn
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

remember that built in project I im'd you about several months ago? this will help me build real cabinet doors for this thing, instead of hindged MDF slabs

also, I almost have the sketchup drawings ready for measuring and posting

happy times
      It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sears sold many routers from many manufacturers under the craftsman name, although I'm guessing that most of them were from Ryobi... you can tell it will have a "315." prefix to the model number.

most routers are servicable, as long as 1- the collet holds the bit securely and 2-the router base holds the router motor and collet at the correct height without slipping. Violate either one of those and you have a piece of junk.
        Everything else is for convenience or versatility or fit and feel.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Santa Clarita Len
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Santa Clarita Calif.
          • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

My Craftsman router is almost 40 years old, which I bought new, and it is still going strong.
          I love it.

Comment

• Hoover
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • USA.

The main thing that bothers me about Craftsman is that they tend to change vendors often. So down the line, if you need replacement parts it may be difficult to obtain.
            No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

Loring must be looking over my shoulder when I'm in my shop... He's freaking me out:

I have two Craftsman routers, one is about 10 years old, the other is decades old.

The older one is mounted in a router table and is serviceable, but the collet tightening system is a pain. I have had problems with bits not being held securely, with the resulting ruined work. (This was Loring's concern #1). Knowing this, I have been able to successfully use it. If one of this model was available used, would I buy it? Nope, wouldn't give it a second thought.

The newer one required some work to get the router motor height adjustment to work smoothly as well as hold securely. (This was Loring's concern #2). Now that I have addressed those issues with the router, I must confess that I enjoy using it for hand-held use because:
              - The grips are comfortable, with the power switch conveniently placed.
              - The built in dust (chip?) collection works quite well.
              - The build in light is quite handy.
              If one of this model was available used, would I buy it? Yes, if the price was good.

BTW, I have had to get a repair part for the older router - had no problems getting it. I've never had part availablity problems with any Craftsman tools (so far, anyway).

Is yours worthwhile? Probably - it depends on the model and if you address the last 5% of the details that Sears seems to neglect.

Comment

Working...