Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

A huge gloat

I am in a daze now. Whattaday!

This morning I headed out to see this guy selling stuff on CL. He had a router table and a Jet 14" BS, among other smaller stuff.

Find out his dad (passed away couple of years ago) was a surgeon with a passion for WW-ing, so obviously collected a bunch of high priced stuff. This guy (son) was unaware of the true value of all the stuff, though he'd done some research on the 'net.

Me, I saw that the table had this Incra jig with a nice table with a cabinet, and overall seemed to be a very good deal, so beat him down by $50 and got the router table with everything in/on it for $350. Getting home, this is the inventory (after surfing the net for each item):

The table is from WoodPeck : the Router Table Ultra Package deal : $612!!!
    Lovely build, enclosed router, dust collection, et al.

It has the Woodpecker's Router Lift : $300!!

The router installed is the PC Router 75182 : $380!!
    That's some monster router... would have never dreamt of buying it myself...

There's also the base for the above router : 75361 : $93!

And of course a whole set of router bits : the set in the picture is the Mastergrip 36 set (i think Costco sold it for $50 or so). 1/4" shank and not great, but usable.

The old gentleman had added a beautiful 3-drawer cabinet to the table, dunno if he bought it or made it, it's of the finest quality - dunno the price.

In the drawers -
    a. Craftsman router 315.25070 : seems to be an old router
    b. A Trim router from Chicago Electric / HF : $30
    b. An phenolic table insert for the PC router : around $50 iirc.
    c. Various router bits - like 2 of Freud's - for 3/4 ply and for 1/2" ply, around a dozen other assorted bits including Incra bits for specialized tasks (i think for dovetails etc) -
    d. A Black-Decker 'portable shaper' - looks very like an early trim router or maybe a dremel? (never used one before, havta look it up).
    e. A 'spacer fence' (UHMW pieces) from http://www.oak-park.com/
    f. Brass measuring bar set from oak-park again

So if you have been counting, all that adds upto almost $1500 worth of stuff... Wowssee!
    He was hard-pressed to find manuals for any of that, so i guess the internet should be my friend for that.

Of course, all this is still on my mini-van, waiting for my neighbor to make an appearance to help me put it down...

Only pity is that I could not also snag the bandsaw. He'd have agreed to even $300 for it, and it's a steal even at $400! My problem was twofold : one, even the router table is gonna be a hard-sell to SWMBO, let alone the BS. other was that the Jet weighs almost 200 lbs, a definite heavyweight in my garage (not counting transporting it home).

Anyway, I am not gonna able to sleep tonight... like christmas eve...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • smc331
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • BT3100

Hoooooo-boyyyy!

You do indeed SUCK!

Enjoy your new goodies.
    Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by radhak
      even the router table is gonna be a hard-sell to SWMBO
      Just show her the price list and tell her you got it on sale. When she says something about how it was still 350.00, remind her of the last clothes purchase she bought 'because it was on sale'. Then RUN!!!
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Anna
        • Feb 2006
        • CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Yep, YOU SUCK!

Wish my husband could find a deal like that.

Comment

• kmk
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • .Portland, Oregon
          • BT3100-1

Awesome!!! btw I recently missed a workbench sale in CL. He listed it for $75. It was in great condition. At rockler, exact WB is $499!! I email him and he replied & said "just sold". I was pretty sad for couple of days.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

THOU SUCKEST!!!

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Helluva good day! Best near miss on CL was a Tormak with the turner's package for $300. I was #3 in line. #1 no-showed, but #2 took the deal.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

In the words of my students, now studying Shakespeare:

Thou sucketh mightily, yea verily!

Man, what a score!

I'll be happy to store that for you until you need it.

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...