• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

114 mpg Opel Diesel

On futurecars last night they mentioned this car. I'm trying to find out more, but what I heard was it has a 1.3l turbo diesel engine that does 140mph and gets 114 mpg.

This was obviously a concept/race version, but I want the engine. It supposedly ran in one of the 24hr races.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I remember my diesel Volkswagen Dasher stationwagon of the early 80's. Even then with $.40 -$.50 a gallon fuel, I loved it. Not just around town but 500 to 1000 mile trips too. Can't remember the MPG exactly but it seemed like 25 to 30 MPG even then. I even drove it up the the top of 14,000 ft Mt. Evans in CO. Smoked a lot at that altitude!

Most people don't like diesel cars, but I sure do. I grew up on a farm and learned to drive on diesel tractors. The smell of diesel and dirt takes me back to my youth. Didn't need to sniff glue or drugs.

I would be interested in a vehicle that got milage like that, but I would want some comfort too. The VW Dasher was a very comfortable car (good seats) in spite of its small size.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dkhoward
      • Dec 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
      • bt3000

Years ago one of they guys I worked with at the fire station got one of the first diesel volkswagons. He went on and on about how good the mileage was, etc. A few weeks later he was raving that the gas mileage just got better and better. . that he was up to almost 40 miles a gallon. A couple of weeks later he is raving that the engine is getting almost 50 miles to the gallon. This goes onfor a couple of weeks then he comes in concerned that the mileage has dropped. Couple more weeks he is complaining more and has taken the car back to the dealership to see why the mileage is half what is was. THis goes on for a couple of more weeks until I finally go out to the parking area at about 3 oclock in the morning and find two of the other fire fighters siphoning diesel out of the tank. YOu can figure out what had been going on for a couple of months.
      Dennis K Howard
      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

Working...