• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Quarter Sawn

I was able to catch a local sawer at his shop today and picked up some nice boards. After visiting every sawmill I could find within driving distance I finally stumbled over this guy that owns a floor covering co. and has a portable sawmill and kiln at his house for a hobby. He stores wood in the back of his business and sells by word of mouth to friends and local woodworkers. I found him when I needed some carpet remenants and went in his back room and saw stacks of wood! He says that local tree cutting services bring him all kinds of logs they have cut out of customers yards and removed from storm damage. Some he pays a little for and some they just drop off rather than pay the landfill fees. Never in a thousand years would I have suspected this source but I would encourage everyone that needs different wood than you can get at the box stores contact tree cutting services and see what they do with their logs. The cost was around $4 b/f. Some are crooked and cracked. Most of this wood is black gum, which is highly figured and looks drop dead gorgeous stained and machines really good. The last 2 pieces are 5/4 quarter sawn red oak and are in good condition. I think they were $20 per board. I might be able to get 3 Tiny Tables out of the red oak.
    Sorry if the picture is sideways, just tilt your head to the left!
    capncarl
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	800955
    Last edited by capncarl; 09-29-2015, 06:13 PM. Reason: Pictures went haywire, sideways
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I used to buy wood at a local sawmill in Pa. They sold most of the wood they cut as furniture, or cabinets, or molding. But they would also sell wood to woodworkers who dropped by. You couldn't tell what they would have in advance but it was worth a stop. They were polite and interesting and their pricing was always fair. I haven't found that opportunity locally but I belong to a website that is limited to NC and surrounding states and have driven a little to several sawmills in NC.

Comment

Working...