Clear All
  • schloff
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Southern Middle TN
    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

Cordless drill combo

Howdy, folks.
    I'm thinking of possibly updating my current setup, looking at a reconditioned PC 20V drill/saw combo. Has anyone had any experience with these? It's very reasonable on Amazon. I'm not sold on any brand, so long as it performs well and takes the abuse that one would normally throw at a drill. Previously, I've had good luck with PC, but not sure about the newer stuff.

This one came up on a general search and struck my fancy. The cordless saw combo is a major bonus, but not necessarily a must have. My major objective here is the drill, but the saw is gravy on the deal.

Part Number PCCK605L2R
    Voltage 20 volts
    Battery Cell Type Lithium Ion

In the past, I have had extremely good luck with factory reconditioned tools. My first was an 18V Ryobi drill about 20 years ago when 18V was almost unheard of. Lasted me a decade with heavy abuse. Batteries finally gave out and I decided to purge it for a more compact model which didn't last for anything. (mistake, that was)

I currently have a relatively cheap driver and have the need very soon for a more durable tool.

Any input would be appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,

Dan
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

IMO, the greatest problem with cordless tools has been the batteries - specifically ni-cads. Since the one you mentioned is Lithium ion, it should be OK. I had an 19.6?v PC cordless drill-driver purchased in 2000 and the batteries were its biggest weakness. That thing was powerful! but around 2004 or 2005 one of the batteries would last only about 15 minutes and the other about 45 minutes of use in driving screws. (This was before my first impact driver.) When both batteries got to the point of 5 minutes use, I gave it away to someone who thought they could rebuild the batteries. New batteries (NiCads) were almost as expensive as a new PC Drill-Driver. The Ryobi 18Vs were suitable alternatives for me, and since the Li-Ion batteries were introduced with the Ryobi, I have stayed with them. The only time I missed the power of the PC was in using full 4 inch screws.

I added a 3/8 in socket driver and a socket to the PC to undo a stuck bolt in a hard to reach place once, and not expecting the power of the thing, it twisted so fast and with such power in my hands that it sprained my wrist. I was gripping tightly too, but just was not expecting that kind of power. I respected that PC power after that. I never felt that kind of power in the Ryobi 18v.

I am not sure how the new PC tools are but they had a great reputation 10 years ago and earlier.
    Last edited by leehljp; 08-25-2015, 08:27 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I will add one more thing about your "saw bonus". I am not sure which combo kit you will get - the one with the circular saw or the recip saw. AS far as the circular saw goes, I got a Ryobi Green Circular (Li-ion) and am very happy with it. Of course I use a corded saw for continued use but the times around the house or where a few cuts were necessary where digging out and hooking up an extension cord would have been needed, the 18V Ryobi Li-ion circular did a great job.

Recently, I had some meetings to attend at a couple of different places, was in my car, and also knew that I needed about 4 - 8ft boards (needed 4 - 5 ft ones). I carried my Ryobi battery circular saw with me, purchased the boards at Lowes and not finding anyone near the store saw, just took them to the car, cut them an inch long and they fit in the car with ease. (In and out of Lowes in 5 minutes.)

That said, the PC should have even more power. Suggestion, - buy a better blade than comes with them. Great improvement.
      Last edited by leehljp; 08-26-2015, 07:06 AM.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Why not go back to Ryobi? I found my circular saw to be not very usefull with NiCd batteries but then my son got me some lithium ion batteries and it is a very useful tool. The great thing about Ryobis is the full range of tools that use the same battery. I have two drills, a circular saw, a reciprocating saw, a jigsaw, a brad nailer, a light, and a oscillating tool. I broke a drill drilling holes for locksets but bought a replacement. I don't think you can get the full range of tools from PC. They are also made by some off-brand company that bought the right to the PC name. I don't see how it is better than a Ryobi (which I do not consider a premium brand, just a good buy).

Comment

• schloff
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Southern Middle TN

Thanks for the replies. I usually have a tendency to overanalyze power tool purchases at times. This is probably another instance of that quirk of mine.

I bit the bullet last night, $99 on ebay for the drill and circular saw. Can't go wrong with that at all.

Lee, you are correct on all points that you make. I really am excited about having the portability of a cordless saw, a first for me.

Jim, I thought about trying the Ryobi again as well. And exactly for the reasons that you posted. The company who paid for the PC name is probably no better quality than the drill motor that is in the one that you can find at Costco or walmart. I (we) could be way off base on this, haven't done and deep dives into that at all. Might be worth educating myself.

Either way, I'll report back on the performance when I either break it or finish the project with it.

Thanks again.

Comment

• schloff
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Southern Middle TN

Well, received the new toys yesterday. I have to admit, I am really impressed with the value on this combo. $99 delivered to my door is hard to beat. Can't wait to put them thru the paces.
            Attached Files

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Good looking set.

For me, the Ryobi circular saw has one feature that I don't like. The "Safety" button is in a difficult place to hold down and still squeeze the switch with one hand. It might be OK with younger hands but my older hands don't have the flexibility to easily hold both buttons down to get started cutting.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• schloff
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Southern Middle TN

Hahaha! I guess I'm not that young either, this safety switch is sort of strange to access as well. Which is why the safety works. It makes you very intentional in your motions.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by schloff
                  Hahaha! I guess I'm not that young either, this safety switch is sort of strange to access as well. Which is why the safety works. It makes you very intentional in your motions.
                  Yes it does, but that made it dangerous for me in that I am not using my hand to fully control the cut as much as it causes me to put some of the energy on contorting my hand. That is what scares me. IF I start a cut and the saw is not flat or straight in line because my hand is contorted, it can quickly jerk dangerously in any direction. And part two is that mind is not 100% focused on the cut because I am focusing on having to squeeze two buttons in different directions.

This is one of those situations where to make something safe, the safety mechanism's operation makes it unsafe from another perspective.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

Working...