• Ridgid R4512

Nice...

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Heading out on vacation today and just watching TV to kill time. Saw this. Criminals trying to use drones to drop contraband into a MD prison.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

For all you guys still wanting to shoot down drones, saw this today:

The new portable weapon system is more like burning ants with a really expensive magnifying glass than obliterating Alderaan.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Atcgpaul, that's just great, now something else to worry about getting in wrong hands. If it will burn a hole in a drone i feel sure it could take out the pilot, fuel tank or engine of a commercial air plane!

Comment

• RAFlorida
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                • Ryobi BT3000

Talk about drones! This Brit, for about $10 thousand dollars, (or there 'bouts), built one for his self.

The Swarm man carrying multi-rotor airborne flight testing montage. 54 counter-rotation propellers, six grouped control channels with KK2.15 stabilization. ...
                Last edited by RAFlorida; 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Last week while I was in Vancouver I noticed a Drone store! I'd like to have been able to stop and look around but didn't have time. I guess they use them to view all the homeless people and pot stores?

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

Here is some video I shot of my church. It's the 150th year anniversary this year and Ill be using it for a commemorative video I'm making. I learned the tower is about 120 ft high.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jussi
                      Here is some video I shot of my church. It's the 150th year anniversary this year and Ill be using it for a commemorative video I'm making. I learned the tower is about 120 ft high.

http://youtu.be/8TNoanxe1ek
                      That's cool! Nice and steady. At the beginning of the video, was that you in the parking lot with someone standing next to you? It seemed like you might have lost sight of the drone at some points. Was the flight pre-programmed (is that even possible?) or all manual?

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• jussi
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007

Yes that was me. I had line of sight the entire time. But I also made sure I was higher than anything even remotely close. The remote also has a screen so I could see what the camera sees, along with telemetry. Although I never do it people do fly out of sight by just flying really high. I'm way to scared to do that. There are many drones that do way points but not mine. The next model I plan to get will have one though. Maybe next year. I'm still having fun with this one. The gimbal works very well. Only thing I don't like about it, and it goes with pretty much all th premade copters, is that it uses proprietary batteries which is way more expensive than regular lipos.
                        Last edited by jussi; 09-13-2015, 12:12 AM.
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Electronic Drone gun:
                          While some homeowners are turning to shotguns to deal with unwanted drones, federal agencies and law enforcement lack the necessary technology to deal with this increasing menace.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                            Seems like unmanned drones (the small, personal types) are all over the news and appear to be everywhere. Was there some kind of technological advancement I missed that has made these so accessible to seemingly everyone in such a short amount of time?
                            As an engineer I began to see these quadcopters (and 6 and 8 versions) about 5-6 years ago in the engineering magazines. They were touted as easy to fly because the controls are so easy compared to a regular helicopter.
                            The short thing is that rotation is a problem with helicopters, but with counter-rotating propellors at every other positions (why you only have even nos of motors)rotation is not a problem, if you want to turn you just turn the clockwise ones a little faster and the CCW ones a little slower and it spins on center. To hover, just spin all the motors the same speed. To go forwards you speed up the rear propellors and slow the front propellors that tilts the craft forward and its slips to the front. To rise, just speed up all the motors.

The beauty of this is that you have very easy to control craft using a microprocessor rather than all the analog channels and visual feedback you needed to control a typical RC helicopter. Instead of a balancing act with a joystick, the remote control would only have to say go up, go forward, turn, etc. Gyroscopes would take care of the rest and maintain a steady direction or even an assigned compass heading commanded. Waypoints, altitude, etc. can be preprogrammed. Thus the control becomes very simple, something you can handle with a touch screen or something you can even program out a course before hand and also have a lost mode where it returns to the original launch spot if its running low on juice or hasn't received a command for a while. All the user interaction is greatly reduced from the skills of flying a traditional RC helicopter.

As mobile electronics - iPads, iPhones proliferated the remotes became very sophisticated and also very widely available whereas the early stuff was only to enthusiasts on the trade magazines and dedicated web sites. Wifi and blue tooth made for sophisticated digital control vs. analog joystick RF controls and finally bidirectional wifi links at high bandwidth and miniturized camera tech made it so that you could see a real time navigational view on a wifi controller screen. Some have both front cameras for navigation (steering) and down cameras for "reconaissance"

So now any Joe can simply buy a quadcopter for relatively cheap and control it with great sophistication with his iPad he already has.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-18-2015, 05:36 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I see on the CBS News earlier this evening that the FAA is attempting to enact a rule that would require any new Drone buyers to register their craft at the time of purchase. The comment was also made that current owners would be asked to register also. The idea being that this would help find those who might be responsible for violators of air space or even the center of complaints.

The question in my mind is whether this might be considered an "enfringement" of someone's rights... and will there be a "National Drone Association".

CWS
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 2003
                                • Maryland
                                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cwsmith
                                The question in my mind is whether this might be considered an "enfringement" of someone's rights... and will there be a "National Drone Association".
                                It's biggest backer might be Amazon:

Comment

Working...