• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Lathe help - need to make decision quick

I have been on the bubble about getting into turning and have been keeping my eye open for an interesting deal. My fall back would be getting the HF 34706 plus a cheap tool set while I learn. I guess even with a 20% coupon and not even thinking about chucks and other accessories I would be in at least $350 to start.

My question that I have to decide on is a friend of mine knows somebody who is selling a complete turning setup with a Nova Comet II, PSI Barracuda 2 chuck system and a whole bunch of tools, turning blanks etc for $699. It is twice what my original starting budget is but this seems like a good deal. I know it is a midi lathe but I am really interested in bowls and smaller stuff and haven't really thought about spindles etc but a bed extension is not that much if I need it down the line.

SO guys is this a good deal, do I get it?

Help
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I would go with you friends deal. In the long it will cheaper, Better quality is the better option, When I started I spent $700 real fast. Look up the cost of the stuff new on the PSI website. Make an offer also. Have fun what ever way u go.

Tom

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Well its all in the back of my truck and am on way home now. Loads of interesting stuff will inventory and let you know later.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Jon,
        Just now reading this, and I think you made the right choice. This is a proper tool gloat worthy of the time honored "you suck"

Comet II is a great machine - 3/4hp VS down to 250 RPM on a midi is awesome. You'll be able to turn anything you want to on that, and it has an option bed extension if you want to do longer spindles. Bowls up to almost 12in should not be a problem with that lathe. I also own the Barracuda 2 chuck (in addition to Barricuda 1 and the "economy" chuck) - its a good chuck and the single key is very convenience for mounting bowl blanks. Looking forward to hearing what else you "stole" at this price.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...