• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have a Win7 desktop with a dual TV tuner installed. This weekend I was trying to record a show using Windows Media Center and saw that their TV guide was empty. Seems like it could be related to Win10 since it doesn't have WMC. If so, it sucks that MS would stop supporting things retroactively.

Coincidentally, at work tomorrow, I'm in a group of about 50 people who will be the first to try out Win10 at our organization. I guess they're completely jumping over Win8. We're supposed to get new Microsoft Surface 3s. I have a Surface from work now which I like but I still pretty much use it like a laptop and don't really use the touch capabilities and never use the stylus. I haven't tried an iPad, but the Surface is a great little machine. Other than the smaller screen size, it really can do everything my big work desktop/laptop can do and the battery life is great.

We also have a lot of XP machines, too, which we can't easily upgrade to Win7 or higher because of the equipment they're connected to. One company wanted $50K to upgrade the machine to Win7. After I stopped laughing, I told them to pound pavement. I bought an extra XP machine and installed their software. IT will put the machine on a secured VLAN.

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

WMC Guide listings

Macrosnot switched guide providers for Windows Media Center over the last few weeks - it's not a Win10 thing. Until recently, Zap2It provided the listings, now they come from Rovi. Rovi is the provider that does the XBox media center guides (which is still supported unlike WMC in Win10) so Vista, Win7, and Win8/8.1 Media Center guides should continue to be updated for several years. To see what your WMC currently uses: start WMC, Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> Guide -> About Guide Listings. You'll see several lines of information. Look at the line immediately following the "End Date: blah blah blah" line to see if you still have Zap2It or not. Ideally it'll say Rovi.

In theory the WMC guide stuff was supposed to automagically update itself during the normal scheduled downloads. That hasn't worked for a lot of folks, especially early-on when Rovi didn't have specific guides for all US zip codes... if your WMC specified such a zip code the update process never completed properly. Mine struggled for a while even when I did the manual updates (from WMC's Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> Guide -> Get Latest Guide Listings) or the "forced" updates with the MCUPDATE program run from an Administrator-level CMD.EXE window. Far more zip codes are in Rovi now so most updates work okay. The best way to force a full update is to pretend you are just configuring WMC's signal source for the first time again (i.e. what you did when you first added an over-the-air tuner or CableCard tuner): Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> TV Signal -> Set Up TV Signal. If you have both cable tuners/cablecard and over-the-air tuners you'll probably have to define both to WMC again.

If that resolves your guide issues, check your scheduled programs. There are yet unresolved differences between the info provided by Zap2It and Rovi. Sometimes shows are listed in different upper/lowercase combinations and WMC is apparently case-sensitive. If you have scheduled items based on show keywords, genre, actors, etc. (other than simple show names) those may not function since much of that type of info is missing in some Rovi entries. Also, setting WMC to record only NEW shows - skipping re-runs - can be problematic since Rovi looks at the original air date for shows - even if the original air date was in Europe or somewhere other than your zip code. So if that date is earlier than "today" the guide thinks it's a rerun and may skip recording it. Rovi is responding to user complaints pretty quickly... but it isn't 100% fixed yet.

Good luck. I tried all sorts of stuff for WMC on my main desktop PC... wasted several hours trying ideas from a WMC forum. The method I described above finally worked on this PC. I tried it on my primary HTPC and it converted to Rovi on the first try - painless on that system. Which is the important one!

mpc

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'll dig deeper tonight on this. I didn't know about the guide switch, but I did just confirm it's showing Rovi. The other day WMC was showing that the guide needed to be updated. I obliged, got confirmation it updated, and that's when I noticed all the listings were gone. I hadn't recorded any shows in a while because of the summer reruns. Anyway, after trying that a few times, that's when I saw the ZIP code swap thing. I tried that as well. I put in a neighboring towns ZIP, it went through the whole channel search process, etc, but my guide still shows no listings.

Does the forced MCUPDATE do the same as above but just at the command line? It's been a long time since I initially setup WMC. I don't remember having to do a different setup for each tuner--dual tuner card, not two separate cards.

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

I was doing some things on the 10 box this morning and found WMC didn't try on it yet. I am now downloading Window 10 to a USB Drive for later installation on either my Laptop or wife's Window computer. I think I have technology overload. Window Desktop and Laptop, iMac, iPad, iPhone. Wife has iPad, iPhone and Windows Desktop. It does keep me and my mind challenged as I am getting older and believe your mind needs to stay active. 9:15am just plugged my Clickfree backup into Windows 10 box and it was found and is now backing up the computer. That was one question I had. I have had the thing for a long time and was wondering if it would work. So now I may do a clean install.

Tom
          Last edited by TB Roye; 08-20-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• mpc
            • Feb 2005
            • Cypress, CA, USA.
            • BT3000 orig 13amp model

For a forced WMC update, try running the following commands from a CMD window (aka "DOS box"). I have this as a little text file called "Manual_EPG.bat" on my computer. Run it with Administrator privs:

@echo This has to be run as Administrator don't forget...
            C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p
            C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -uf
            pause

The "pause" at the end just holds the window open once the updates complete so I can see any status/error messages.

edit: here is a big discussion if WMC guide issues and various ideas:

And this website should help you find working Zip codes/provider info for your area - it uses the same Rovi database supposedly. It won't work in Firefox though... I assume it is keyed to IExplorer. I don't have/use Chrome or Opera so I have no idea if it complains about those.

On the right, in the black banner at the top, is a teardrop icon search field. Enter your zip code in that box, then select your provider from the pull-down menu. There is a scroll bar on the right of the pull-down menu... hard to see with the color combinations.

mpc
            Last edited by mpc; 08-20-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by mpc
              And this website should help you find working Zip codes/provider info for your area - it uses the same Rovi database supposedly. It won't work in Firefox though... I assume it is keyed to IExplorer. I don't have/use Chrome or Opera so I have no idea if it complains about those.

On the right, in the black banner at the top, is a teardrop icon search field. Enter your zip code in that box, then select your provider from the pull-down menu. There is a scroll bar on the right of the pull-down menu... hard to see with the color combinations.

mpc
              Thanks! I'm back in business. The zip code found on the MSN site was one off from my own. This time the setup also identified the two tuners. Now the guide is back.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Went and got the upgrade tool this morning. I got tired of waiting for Microsoft to push the upgrade.

The DVD is being verified right now. Going to upgrade my laptop first, then my wifes. Might do the Win 7 desktop as well but I like keeping at least one computer with a load that matches work, so I might stay at Windows 7 Professional for a while...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

One thing I have had to deal with... Wifi was about 1/3 speed until I disabled location services. Doing that fixed wifi but negates use of Cortana. Maybe you won't experience this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                  "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas
                  => Bade's Personal Web Log
                  => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

My first install of Windows 10 wasn’t working all that well. I’ve only got an 120GB solid state hard drive which is fairly full. The original offer said Win10 needed 3GB, so I made sure that space was available. Once the actual install came through, it said it needed 5GB, so I had to scramble to create that much space on the HD. After having glitches galore, I just reinstalled Win 10 using a factory default restore which stripped off all programs that didn’t come with the PC. It’s working much, much better now. I also now have 41GB of free space once we stripped all the downloads and apps off it. I', pretty happy at the moment...Win10 is working great, and has some really neat features once you get used to it.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

So far I have Windows 10 on both our laptops. Pretty much everything I expect. Although not exactly a drop in replacement for Windows 7, everything I have tried to do so far is pretty intuitive. Cortana works, although I find Google's voice integration in Android to recognize my speech better.

Overall, the laptop boots faster, seems to run fairly smooth. I do have one issue with Audacity though. Doing some recording, I am finding that audio straight through my mixer to my monitors is crystal clear, no weird effects. Run through to Windows Voice recorder, and it records fine, but try recording through Audacity, and I get a funny reverb effect that is not in the source. It never did that with Windows 8.1. Then again the version I am using is kind of dated now...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Ran into a problem with my Windows box. Lost internet Had it connect to a wall receptacle by a cat 5 cable. Evidently there is a bad wire in the receptacle. Yesterday morning I ordered a Wireless USP adaptor. Surprise it got here this afternoon buy USPS wow, Plugged it in started the computer showed it was there and found the wireless access point asked for the passcode and bingo back on the internet. No muss no fuss. Happy camper with the Grandkids coming over Labor day. The will have their own computer to use for their games.

Tom

Comment

• Black walnut
                          Administrator
                          • Aug 2015
                          • BT3K

Bump.

Those that changed are you glad you did? Has it been worth it in the months since?
                          just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm a Mac user and Windows is Windows but I use it because I have to. I really liked Windows 8.1 because once it was configured the way I wanted it, everything was always one keystroke away on the home screen. When I first upgraded, it was updating itself maniacally, like every day there were patches. Once that slowed down, it seems to work pretty well. I haven't noticed any performance differences between 8.1 and 10, stability seems on par with 7 and 8.1.

I'd neither recommend against it or for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Chr's

Comment

• Black wallnut
                              cycling to health
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                              • BT3k 1999

Thanks! That is the type of feedback I'm looking for. I am using 8.1 and in spite of I liked 7 better it seems stable enough.
                              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cwsmith
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2005
                                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                                • BT3100-1

I upgraded last week from Windows 8.1.

The upgrade went well enough, and the first thing I did was turn off a lot of the intrusive things that I had read about. Still, it seems a bit slower than Windows 8.1. and it takes longer to boot up, but only by a half-minute or so.

One annoyance is that I've lost the Menu bar in my Corel Draw Suite. It's there, but appears blank until you mouse over it. Even on a re-install of the software, it appears as a blank. I guess I have to wait to see if Corel answers my inquiry as to a fix for this.

A really big annoyance for me is that you can no-longer redirect downloads. I'm in the midst of a couple of projects and anything that I download simply goes to the Download directory and I have to then transfer it to the desired directory. Same is true of correspondence attachments, etc. With all previous versions of Windows, you could direct where the download file would go. This should be the simplest of tasks, but I have yet to find a way to do this with Windows 10; hopefully, I'm just overlooking something.

One feature touted with Windows 10 is that it will run your old software. When I bought this Window's 8.1 laptop a year and a half ago I about freaked, as it would run none of my old software, Office 2000 Professional, CorelDraw 11, PaperPort scanner software, etc. I had to buy everything new, which cost a small bundle. So much of the new software like Office and PaperPort were quite ugly and frankly lacked some of the features of the old. I was hoping to get those back with Windows 10, but have yet to find the time to find out.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed, considering all the hype. Perhaps it's that I have yet to learn of any advantages, or the so-called new features. This "Cloud" thing I find perturbing. Almost every software package you buy today features the "Cloud"... and I'm not interested in any of it. I'm totally not trusting of floating any of my work or family stuff out on some server that I have no control over. I've got hundreds of illustrations that I've done for companies where propriety is important. While they allow me to keep those because I'm the original illustrator, I surely wouldn't want to wake up someday to find that they've been hacked and now are available everywhere. (I still view a personal computer as just that: "personal".)

CWS
                                Last edited by cwsmith; 10-30-2015, 10:43 AM.
                                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...