• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Delta 14in Band Saw Lower Thrust Bearing Replacement

Many of you who own this saw may have already had to replace thrust bearings, but I hadn't the need until recently. Fine dust had worked its way into the bearing, until it wouldn't move freely. I misplaced my manual, so decided to see if there was a "how to" by searching Google - and came across this undated FWW article on bandsaw tune-up, which includes the bearing replacement. Gave me just enough info to figure it out. I just received the new bearing last week, so went into the shop and had it on in 10 minutes. Would have been 5, but I had to figure out that you need to loosen the stop collar that holds the adjuster knob/screw in place. All is now "ship-shape and Bristol fashion".

Bill in Buena Park
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Wood Magazine had an article similar to that one about I guess it was 4 or 5 years ago.... Good reminder though!

Are you talking about the thrust bearing on the guide that got gunked up? Mine did that on my HF, I took it off, and gave it a good 48 hour soak in transmission fluid. Runs like new now...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Thrust bearing below the table. Transmission fluid? I may have to give that a try...
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

If it was a real sealed bearing, it is unlikely that dust penetrated the bearing. If it was shielded, then that is possible and likely. I am not sure how you would figure the surface feet per minute on a band saw blade and translate that to rpm on a bearing, but my bet would be that it exceeded the bearings factory rating. Boiled the grease inside and it broke down and wore the balls. Whenever possible, I like to go overkill on RPM ratings in bearings. That is as long as it isn't cost prohibitive.
        Once I have spun a factory bearing, I never reorder the exact same replacement. I buy most of my bearings from here.
        Bearings Online, shopping by VXB ball bearings the online bearing store and supplier, wholesale prices and same day shipping, next day air shipping available. The Ball Bearing Supplier & Distributor
        Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Lee, I think the stock bearings are shielded. I let it soak in liquid wrench a little and it freed up a bit, so I'm thinking its just impacted with fine dust. And I did order the bearings from VXB, found them through Amazon. Good bearings, great price.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Stytooner
            ... I am not sure how you would figure the surface feet per minute on a band saw blade and translate that to rpm on a bearing, but my bet would be that it exceeded the bearings factory rating. ...
            Given my bandsaw rate of 2700 ft/minute,
            and using the ABEC-7 bearing size (thats 22mm OD x 8mm ID x 7mm width)
            then if the bearing edge rode on the bandsaw blade with no slip then its moving 11,000 RPM.

However a thrust bearing has the blade edge riding on the side of of the bearing so its not using the full radius of the bearing.
            It turns the thrust bearing at full speed if the edge of the blade is pushed firmly back into the bearing edge and the effective radius is probably where the blade to bearing center is.

Assuming you have the blade 2/3 of the bearing radius from the center of the bearing then the bearing will turn at 2/3 of 11K RPM which is about 7000 RPM.

YOu can slow the bearing down of course by setting the bearing center closer to the blade. And also by not pushing so hard into the thrust bearing. To me that makes the saw cut better as its not forcing the blade to twist so much... I tend to press the wood until it cuts well, but barely makes contact with the thrust bearing... What do you guys do?
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...