• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtworksIII
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • Spokane Wa
    • Craftsman

I'm glad you like LCHIEN,and did you know that each of the models in this thread are the build templates for future orders? Paper templates don't hold an edge as well as wood. Katy Texas I have an NScale train layout and have an old SD-40/2 in Katy colors Green with Bright Yellow Stripes. Texas has some of the larger aircraft manufacturers Bell Textron, Cessna, Bombardier/Lear, Finally Griffon Aerospace models my inspiration and reason for this madness....

Comment

• ArtworksIII
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2015
      • Spokane Wa
      • Craftsman

Right now it's unclear how my version of this plane will turn out but it will be a nice weathervane Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 415.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	787371Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 415 b.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	787372Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-415 m.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	787373

Comment

• ArtworksIII
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2015
        • Spokane Wa
        • Craftsman

Afew more parts and another photo will complete this templates set.Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-415 o.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	787374 then this gets sent to editing then sent back for corrections.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2015
          • Spokane Wa
          • Craftsman

Some of you may be wondering if I finished any of these models. Many of the models you see are master templates. And as I go I'll post finish photos. By now followers may notice that this hobby encompasses three major trains of thought. One interpreting line drawings, fabricating parts from line drawings to be just accurate enough and finally Sculpting/Carving.Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-415 p.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	787375 I don't think this is the forum to speak of sculpting carving nonsense as When I set down to carve I'm all total confidence in my ability to use the reference photos.
          Last edited by ArtworksIII; 08-18-2015, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2015
            • Spokane Wa
            • Craftsman

These models adorn head tables or are given to retirees or as thanks for a great job and of course an impulse buy for pilots or owners. The addition of the stand gives the model a point of interest. Maybe next weekend we'll actually get to meet the prospective buyer and the aircraft.Click image for larger version

Name:	CL-415 q.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	787376 There are so many fire fighting aircraft in the DNR as well as the Forest Service, so all I need to do is offer my art/craft at a fair price. Now for the landing gear....?
            Last edited by ArtworksIII; 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2015
              • Spokane Wa
              • Craftsman

Of all the large helicopters in the world, and This one isn't really the largest I'm going to try my skills at this one. My contemporaries do make these but john Q public isn't going to buy one as the shipped price for such a thing is near $250.00 too much for my wages and I can build one way cheaper posting photos for sure..... It may interest you to know that Erickson of Eugene ORE has waved copyrights on using their line drawings "as long as the craftsman follows the look of the airfcraft and colors correctly.Click image for larger version

Name:	erickson-aircrane.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	787378
              Last edited by ArtworksIII; 08-23-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2015
                • Spokane Wa
                • Craftsman

Those of you following this thread may realize that no matter what form the aircraft takes. The fabrication and sub assemblies are common from drawing to tangible model. I enjoy the drafting aspect of this old hobby as well. Sitting at a lite board is common in this craft. This is 5 hours of work to this point the model measures 19 inches in length. Even at 5 hours a lot of headway is made. There are no drawings for the water tank so I'm pretty much winging it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150823_154340.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	787385Click image for larger version

Name:	20150823_154434.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	787386Click image for larger version

Name:	20150823_154442.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	787387Click image for larger version

Name:	20150823_154458.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	787388
                Last edited by ArtworksIII; 08-26-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Spokane Wa
                  • Craftsman

My instalment this week is just an idea. Many of the replicas I make are of civilian but I think this could interest even the most die hard framers. Some of you may have seen this team at one time or another. My idea is to build a trio or more from a stand on the cellingClick image for larger version

Name:	17216278322_866663de6c_o.jpg
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	787391Click image for larger version

Name:	tutor1.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	787392Click image for larger version

Name:	20150829_153633.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	787393 I'll post later got some honey do's to do....
                  Last edited by ArtworksIII; 08-29-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

You have built quite a few models and shown the bare bones wood. Are those just mock-ups? At what stage do you fine shape the edges and add finish and markings?

BTW, most of the guys here are not framers, but either makers of fine woodworks, or at least aspiring to that. I think most of us do some "framing" from time to time but we enjoy the tools and making things for inside or outside the house mostly.

You have an artistic skill that transcends the tools. Often times here, different ones, including me jump to a new tool to help increase our precision that our hands may not be able to do. Some of us, (well, maybe just me) - let the tool do the work for us as much as possible. But there are artists that regardless of the tool they have, are able to reproduce cuts and shapes with precision from pure eye hand coordination. I had a Japanese neighbor in Japan that had that ability. Of course his day job was a university art professor. But his hobby was bringing wood to life in fine artistic flair in many forms. He had some of the finest tools that I have ever seen, but he used his hand tools most of the time.

Some people have it, and others want it!
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Spokane Wa
                      • Craftsman

Leehljp, I have friends who frame who enjoy these models as well. To answer your question all my models are templates the fabrication of any line drawing is satisfying for a lot of guys just wanting to immerse themselves. From a wood working stand point complete interaction with your saws and sanding keeping lines level is so important.. It's at the point where you pick up your motor tool with carbide bit and begin to rough out the form. Any detail is applied during the rough out via a template. Where a paint scheme is available a hard copy is made and applied all through the sanding process. Knocking the edges off a square is something we all learned. This is all just plenty of relaxing fun a as I said before Shop talk... I make the bases for the models as well I use a Dewalt router table. I'm reluctant to address carving as no two craftsman have the same finesse with regard to carving technique. This model gives you an idea of where to place carves in the wood through reference photos. Next phaze is to locate the windows which is done way back in fabrication...Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_123028.jpg
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	787394Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_123043.jpg
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	787395Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_123035.jpg
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	787396Click image for larger version

Name:	boomerang.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	787397When I use a term like artistic license I mean that templates are used to apply windows but re-drawing the windows is a sure thing too.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150903_135405.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	787400

There are so many aircraft types I have a second computer much like a library. Another instalment will show this gyrocopter with artistic license taken a bit.Click image for larger version

Name:	cartercopter.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	787399Click image for larger version

Name:	20150905_135841.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	787409
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ArtworksIII; 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Spokane Wa
                        • Craftsman

This model is another very popular type although many times when you see one its weathered or sitting in the weeds. Originally the technique of using templates was to glue the form to the block wood. I prefer to use a succession of templates all through the build to check each for reasonable accuracy. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150904_145713.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	787401 By now readers may wonder where I find the time to do this hobby. Not recluse not antisocial just found a doable balance in my lives. But had to give up some more routine activities like T.V. accept Hockey and Bar hopping......LOL

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

That's looking really nice (like all your models). Looks like a Beechcraft "Bonanza", though it's been a very long time since I flew in one of those. IIRC, it was my third or fourth orientation flight when I was a teen.

I don't keep up very well with any of the newer designs, I don't recall any other private aircraft with that particular empennage arrangement; although I do recall a Mooney, with a vertical stabilizer and single horizontal. Sort of like the Bonanza's balanced 'V', but it was rotated more to starboard.

I'm glad you are posting your work, it's always great to see,

CWS
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Spokane Wa
                            • Craftsman

Originally posted by cwsmith
                            That's looking really nice (like all your models). Looks like a Beechcraft "Bonanza", though it's been a very long time since I flew in one of those. IIRC, it was my third or fourth orientation flight when I was a teen.

I don't keep up very well with any of the newer designs, I don't recall any other private aircraft with that particular empennage arrangement; although I do recall a Mooney, with a vertical stabilizer and single horizontal. Sort of like the Bonanza's balanced 'V', but it was rotated more to starboard.

I'm glad you are posting your work, it's always great to see,

CWS

Hello cwsmith. What is an empennage ? I don't know much airframe structure outside of line drawings. There are so many types of aircraft these days. Only limited by what the modeler wants to make. I'm glad you guys like the craft. Just about ready to go into carving mode. Oddly enough a carving forum I was in didn't seem to accept aviation as a good subject. Stopped entering in fairs as when I went to get my model it was gone. I sell a lot of my work to student pilots as well as owner/operators.

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by ArtworksIII
                              Hello cwsmith. What is an empennage ?

Maybe it's an old term, but an "empennage" is the tail assembly of an airplane, consisting of the vertical and horizontal stabilizers, the rudder, elevators, and trim tabs. A few terms applying to aircraft are French, as they were instrumental in early aircraft development. I don't remember them all, but "empannage" (tail assembly) and
                              "nacelle" (engine cowling) are the first to come to mind. ("Fuselage" is also a French term too, IIRC.)

I first became interested in aviation when I was about nine and I think I read every aviation book our school library had. That would have been in the mid-50's, so most all of the books were WW1, WWII, and the years in between when aviation was in it's golden-years, so to speak. During those youthful years, I used to build a lot of models which were mostly plastic although I did build quite a few flying models too. I sure wish I had those today, as I imagine they would be rather rare.

When I joined Civil Air Patrol in 1958 (I was fourteen), one of the first requirements in the cadet program was to build three "Bellow's" models, a simple glider, a simple, rubber-band driven mid-wing monoplane, and a fully structured balsa high-wing monoplane model with all the ribs, spars, frame elements, etc., which would then be covered with silkspan. It also had to free-fly. It was a great program because you learned flight theory as well as all the terminology and it included several "orientation" flights, including some hands-on time in the cockpit. By completion, most cadets knew not only flight theory, but also had a good grasp of the history, civil aviation rules and procedures, basic navigation, instrumentation, and even radio procedures... as well as military customs and traditions, discipline and procedures particular to the Air Force.

CWS
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                                Forum Newbie
                                • Mar 2015
                                • Spokane Wa
                                • Craftsman

I now know what the empennage is. As a model maker only hear terms like horizontal and vertical stabilizer. The V tail is another dangerous aircraft. Because of pressures on the V tail itself. Models were used 1942 to identify Foe Vs Friend. The government federal security agency of the time actually wrote a book on the construction process. They were serious about the models produced. There are companies today that make limited runs of models for clients like air ambulance programs. All the models you see are based on those theories. I don't think many would actually pick up the hobby as they are a lot like puzzles.[ATTACH=CONFIG]22172[/ATTACH
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by ArtworksIII; 09-06-2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...