I've been asked to build a special project for my Mom...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I've been asked to build a special project for my Mom...

A few years ago, my mom was visiting from Oregon, and I made for her a keepsake box out of a hunk of hurricane Ike blowdown camphor I am pretty sure it was (it smelled like, and still smells like Vicks...).

She saw the bandsaw jewelry box I made for my wife, the clock on the mantle, and the urn for our beloved Laborador retriever...

Now mom is far from a young lady at 78, and is giving a lot of thought to her last place to chill on earth... And has asked me to do the build...

Good thing she wants to be cremated! I couldn't imagine doing a casket build in Texas, and then shipping it to Oregon, while dealing with Funeral homes, and the like...

Now, I have never done an urn for a person, just a very large dog... I am clueless as to how large the interior volume should be, and what considerations there would be for permanent protection of the urn.

Has anyone here done an urn build? and if so, can you give me any design pointers as, well you only get one shot at this kind of project...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

DBH ..

This thread on the site chronicles the urn I built for my very close friend just less than a year ago. => http://www.sawdustzone.org/showthrea...urn&highlight=

I can tell you that for me it was an emotional experience but at the same time one of the most rewarding experiences I can imagine. As far as dimensions ... I ultimately went to the funeral home and asked to measure one of the "temporary" or "provided" boxes they return the cremains in to the family. I measured that and made sure that the urn would accommodate that plastic (in my case it could be cardboard) box inside what I built with the lid on.

As far as design ... I went to the net and found a number of urn examples that I felt like I could "copy" with some confidence and then presented those to the family as a catalog of choices. I also consulted them on the woods they would prefer. Once completed I went with the widow to a local engraver (trophy store) and helped her decide on what to have laser engraved on the front.

The family is very happy (as am I) with the result. Hope this helps ...
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

What will be the "final resting place" for the urn? The thought struck me at my aunts funeral, what if the urn was too tall to fit in the wall? Ive seen some crematory boxes that were about the size of a jewelry box that might take up so much shelf or mantle space if your house is it.
      capncarl

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

Marc aka The woodwhisperer built one for his uncle. Asian inspired piece that looks kind of like a pagoda.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...