• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Yep, Jefferson Davis house and MLK house in one day and fly out of Montgomery the same day is a real road trip!

Seaweed washing up on the beach is not an everyday affair. I've only seen it 2 x this year washing up. Storms break a lot of it up and depending on the current where it goes. Sometimes it will not be where you are but 5 miles down the beach it will be covered. It's also a seasonal thing, just like leaves on trees. Wait till you see the jellyfish blow in! Nobody swims then, except for the northerners who come down and think that we are staying out of the water because it's too cold and they are use to cold water!

They just recently registered the first great white shark caught from a pier in Panama City! Where did he come from? Not many seen in the wam gulf water.
    capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

We've covered a lot of ground in a couple of days. Flew in late to New Orleans on Monday night so we went to bed. Tuesday we went to the WWII museum which was well done. Had lunch at a local BBQ place which was awesome, then spent the afternoon in the French Quarter. My wife wouldn't let me go nuts on Bourbon Street since we were having dinner there that night, too. Oh well. This morning (Wednesday) found us on the road to Avery Island to visit the Tabasco factory then Cajun/Creole lunch in Vermilion Village which was yummy. We got to Baton Rouge around rush hour which was pretty bad, chilled at the Costco for some food souvenirs, then had dinner at a nice place along the water about 10 miles west of Slidell. We are in Biloxi now.

Everyone here from the cashier at Albertson's, to the hotel check-in staff, to the wait staff at restaurants have been so pleasant. True Southern hospitality. The weather has been amazing, too. I've been to Florida/Key West in August 8 years ago and the sweat stain on our rental car is probably still there. What a pleasant surprise to find next to no humidity and not crazy hot temps! Gas is cheap, too. I just filled up for $1.97/gallon--60 cents cheaper than at home. The crowds are also non-existent. I guess school started 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, looking forward to the beach tomorrow then Montgomery, AL on Friday. We got a compact car and chose the Hyundai since we own one and will be touring their factory on Friday. Not sure if it's the small car or these Southern roads but I'm feeling every bump on your roads. I don't feel them in our Santa Fe.

If there's a MUST eat place or must eat food between Biloxi and Montgomery, please let me know.

Thanks,
      Paul

Comment

Working...