• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Getting hardwood trim flush to plywood

Good Morning-

I am working on a project that requires using 1/2" maple ply and then adding a 1/2 x 3/4 maple hardwood piece to the edge. I've tried to cut the trim piece as close to size as I can, but the glue up always seems to be a slight bit off, so I'm thinking the best thing to do is cut the hardwood just slightly oversize and then trim flush with a bearing bit in my trim router, except that running a trim router on a 1/2" edge isn't much for the trim router to ride on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run a router along an edge that is only 1/2" wide? I tried to clamp a flat piece of stock to the back side to create a wider surface to run the router base on, but wasn't really happy with the results. I was thinking about making a tall 90 degree support and then running it through a router table, but not sure that would really work either. I probably need to remove less than 1/16" in most cases. I could sand it, but since there 10 of these shelves that are 12" wide x 2 sides....it wouldn't be very efficient, plus, I'd hate to sand through the veneer.

Thanks for any feedback
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

You should think of referencing off the top surface using a flush trim base for your router. here are a couple of examples but you should find lots of other references on the interweb.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

That jig in the first link above was what I would suggest, too.

You could also do the tall fence. Just raise the fence the height of the trim off the table. Set the outer edge of your bit flush with the surface of your fence and run your board through. It will "joint" your trim flush to the face of your shelf.

Comment

• Grampy122
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2004
        • Sterling Heights, Michigan.

I just got saw this in my e-mail. http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...dproduct=56204

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

This might be a good opportunity to tune up your no.4 hand plane!

Side benefit: a decent upper body workout.
          JR

Comment

• sailor55330
            Established Member
            • Jan 2010

Thank you all again for the advice. I'm going to work on a base this evening. Seems straightforward.

As for the #4 tune up, well, you can't work with what you don't have.....sadly enough.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

I went through a similar dilemma a few weeks ago and decided to order the OF1010 and edge guide. Works well, but it's a pricey solution.
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

The second linked article also has a good point. A well tuned plane is perhaps a better way to take off small amounts. But it should be set to take a light cut (so it won't damage the veneer).

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I go the extra length to keep the shelf cap flush with the top of the board to reduce the extra work on the boards. To do this I clamp on stop boards on the shelf board top to align the edge piece and not allow it to slip above the shelf top. Sometimes I cut in a couple of biscuits help hold the edge piece aligned as well. If I have to do any clean up work it will be mostly on the bottom of the shelf board where it is not as visible

I like how my son finished his shelf faces, he ironed on edge band, no fiddling with the extra board! That will be my go to shelf finish.

Comment

• Condoman44
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2013
                    • CT near Norwich
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I have used the iron on method for years and love it. I have had the Woodtek portable edge banding system for 16 years and use a hand veneer iron for touch-up. Whether painted or stained it is a great way to finish plywood edges.

Comment

Working...