Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Alternative to Contact Cement?

<Not sure if this is tool talk, but close enough>

I have been using the nonflammable Contact Cement for my not-so-heavy needs, like laminating the boot shelf doors, or an occasional ply/laminate for table tops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	562048.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	800986

I see that HD has stopped carrying it in-store, and it must be because of the very bad reviews it has received from customers, who complain that this type of CC (the nonflammable is water-based) does not really stick. FWIW, it has worked admirably for me, without fail.

Anyway - now that I want to sandwich a thin ply between two plastic laminates for making doors for existing cabinets, what are my choices if I don't want to wait a week for online delivery? I could get the regular Contact Cement, but it comes with such dire warnings (can catch fire! dangerous fumes!) that I am wondering if the other stuff like Liquid Nails and similar would do for my purposes.

I loved the no-pressure-needed adhesion of the CC. With any other glue, I'll have to provide the clamping power.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I've had good luck on thin stuff like that with the spray can contact adhesive. Not as much fumes. I sometimes question those that protest stuff that is harmful. It is evident to me that they have never tried to grow enough vegetables to feed the masses without insecticides, they would have all starved off by now!

Comment

• Condoman44
      Established Member
      • Nov 2013
      • CT near Norwich
      • Ryobi BT3000

I have used both kinds. When I put Formica over Formica only the stinky stuff was rated for that. I'll look oi the big box stores in CT to see what they have just to be aware.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I tried one of the construction glue yesterday, and did not like it much : takes too long to squeeze out, spread out and keep pressure on. Has it's value for doing other work, but for my purposes, not all that easier than CC.

I'll go back to CC - and just keep the garage door open while working!
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Isn't construction adhesive too thick? Don't you get lumps under your laminate?

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            Isn't construction adhesive too thick? Don't you get lumps under your laminate?
            Good point - I had to spend time and elbow grease to spread it out thin and even to avoid those lumps, which was more than I expected to do. All in all, CC is pretty appealing to me now!
            - Aristotle

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
              • Aug 2007
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • BT-3000, 21829

I've had good luck with water-based CC by using two coats on each surface.

Never had any luck with just one coat. Pressure roller is a must, also.
              You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
              of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
                I've had good luck with water-based CC by using two coats on each surface.

Never had any luck with just one coat. Pressure roller is a must, also.
                That must be the trick for me - I have found my applications of water-based CC have worked just fine. But probably because in abundance of caution, I have always used two coats on each surface. I guess I can confirm your point!
                - Aristotle

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by radhak
                  I tried one of the construction glue yesterday, and did not like it much : takes too long to squeeze out, spread out and keep pressure on. Has it's value for doing other work, but for my purposes, not all that easier than CC.

I'll go back to CC - and just keep the garage door open while working!
                  A good respirator is the key here. No fumes killing your brain cells.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...