X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

I called 1-800-523-4777 to order the parts.

One note, you'll notice that parts 130 A&B and 131 A&B are missing from the list of items ordered. Apparently those items are included with Part # 33 now (they may mention that there is a new part number for that item -- did when I was talking to them anyways).

Good luck.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

Thankyou Mr. Foy Teamwork is what this place is all about.[^]
      Just a note, can't remember if I mentioned it in the original post. I used 5/16"-18 mounting bolts because I had that tap already. You could use the 8mm 1.25 if you have the tap.
      Although I used the metric bolts item 138 5/16"-18 would work fine there too. I wasn't sure at the time if it would make a difference in the fit going throught the fixed base (141) and bracket (137) it won't.
      Best and easiest tool enhancement I've done in awhile. Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Popeye

Thankyou Mr. Foy Teamwork is what this place is all about.[^]
        Just a note, can't remember if I mentioned it in the original post. I used 5/16"-18 mounting bolts because I had that tap already. You could use the 8mm 1.25 if you have the tap.
        Although I used the metric bolts item 138 5/16"-18 would work fine there too. I wasn't sure at the time if it would make a difference in the fit going throught the fixed base (141) and bracket (137) it won't.
        Best and easiest tool enhancement I've done in awhile. Pat
        Uh oh. Tap? Is there retooling involved?

I don't have any taps/dies currently, and buying a set, even from HF, would probably price this mod out of my range right now...

-Tim

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

You could save some bucks and just buy the size tap you need for now rather than a whole set. True Value store here carries a set with a matching drill bit and tap in one package for around $4.00.

You 'can' turn the tap with a wrench, but as discussed with Pat just a bit ago in the chat room (and I agree), having a tap handle would be better.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

Just to clarify, can someone please step me through how to do the mod? I had assumed I just had to replace some HF parts with Grizzly ones, but now we have a tap involved... [:0]

-Tim

Comment

• Stan
              • Mar 2004
              • Kalispell, MT, USA.
              • BT3100, Delta 36-717

quote:Originally posted by tfischer

Just to clarify, can someone please step me through how to do the mod? I had assumed I just had to replace some HF parts with Grizzly ones, but now we have a tap involved... [:0]

-Tim
              Take a look at the link that Pat provided on the first message in this thread. He took a series of pictures that show the three holes that need to be drilled/tapped on the bandsaw.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Stan

Originally posted by tfischer

Take a look at the link that Pat provided on the first message in this thread. He took a series of pictures that show the three holes that need to be drilled/tapped on the bandsaw.
                Jeez I totally missed that link -- thanks!

-Tim

Comment

• Popeye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Woodbine, Ga
                  • Grizzly 1023SL

-Tim
                  http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_al...umName=album53 pretty basic picture show, but I hope this helps. See ya'll Friday nite. Pat

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

I think I spoke too soon -- just notice this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39391 for $9.99.

I was under the impression a tap/die set started around $40...

Is this all I really need in addition to the above parts list?

-Tim

Comment

• Popeye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Woodbine, Ga
                      • Grizzly 1023SL

I think I spoke too soon -- just notice this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39391 for $9.99.

Yep, that's it. Pat

-Tim

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • BT3100

Finally got around to ordering this stuff... Everything's in stock except the bushing, 4-6 week outlook for that!

Any chance I could use something else for a bushing? If not I guess I'll be waiting for it (I ordered it, anyway...)

Thanks again for a great, affordable mod!

-Tim

Comment

• Bollox
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

Finally got around to ordering this stuff... Everything's in stock except the bushing, 4-6 week outlook for that!

Any chance I could use something else for a bushing? If not I guess I'll be waiting for it (I ordered it, anyway...)

-Tim
                          Tim,
                          Grizzly told me the same thing last week, so I spun up a bushing Friday night at work. Wouldnt you know it, the Grizzly part arrived today (Monday). Let me know if yours doesnt arrive soon and I'll send you my Grizzly one.

Popeye,
                          What I couldnt get right now was the 2 spacers on the threaded rod (p/n 131 A & B) any chance you could measure yours and give me a length and diameter?
                          Thanks for posting this mod. Remembering to wind off the tension every night is not something I'm good at!

Mike

Comment

• tfischer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2003
                            • BT3100

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Bollox

Originally posted by tfischer

What I couldnt get right now was the 2 spacers on the threaded rod (p/n 131 A & B) any chance you could measure yours and give me a length and diameter?
                            Uh oh, I didn't even try to order those -- according to the parts list above they came with one of rod itself? Guess I'll see what I end up with.

Thanks for the offer of the bushing -- I'll see what happens! I still have to pick up a tap set too, plus all the related hardware that I didn't order through Grizzley...

-Tim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by Popeye

Yep, that's it. Pat

-Tim
                              that looks dangerously inexpensive.
                              My last set of HF taps/dies you could see the twist build up in the tap as I turned it, it was so "soft".

And my set was $40 I think.

You'd probably do better getting a single size tap and properly sized drill bit as was suggested earlier.

The really cheap sets at HF I'd only recommend for chasing existing threads and holes that maybe got fouled or bunged. They also don't include the numbered-size bits you need to do properly. The fractional sets most people have aren't a fine enough selection.

Carbon steel is also the bottom, bottom end of the chain. Next better is HSS or I guess they call alloy steel.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Popeye
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2003
                                • Woodbine, Ga
                                • Grizzly 1023SL

quote:Originally posted by Bollox

-Tim
                                Tim,
                                Grizzly told me the same thing last week, so I spun up a bushing Friday night at work. Wouldnt you know it, the Grizzly part arrived today (Monday). Let me know if yours doesnt arrive soon and I'll send you my Grizzly one.

Popeye,
                                Thanks for posting this mod. Remembering to wind off the tension every night is not something I'm good at!

Mike
                                Sorry Mike and Tim,
                                My tensioner came with the two "fixed spacers" attached. I had initially ordered them and was told they were backordered too. Then the rod came in with them on it so I cancelled the backordered parts.
                                Mike, the upper spacer measures 1.339" dia X 1".... the lower is .750" X .750". Hard to get anything like a precision measuring instrument in there now.
                                "Both have set screws" so if your have to order them those need to be ordered too. Part no #'s PSS05m and PSS07m
                                Mike I'd have thought you'd be too busy to mess with bandsaw parts this time of year. I'll be watching Sunday. Which team do you work for? Haven't been to a 500 since 78 but I'll be home for the Brickyard in August. No offense[B)] Pat

Comment

Working...