• Show
Clear All
  • coach
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005
    • Forney, TX.
    • Powermatic 66

Jet Shopline JSL-6J Jointer - Advice needed

a local guy has this jointer for sale. he is asking $200. i searched the web and couldn't find anything about it. does anyone have any experience with it? is there anything i should be concerned about? the price seems good to me, but what do i know? he claims to have used it only a couple of times, and that it is like-new condition. so what do ya guys think???
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
  • Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

quote:Originally posted by coach

a local guy has this jointer for sale. he is asking $200. i searched the web and couldn't find anything about it. does anyone have any experience with it? is there anything i should be concerned about? the price seems good to me, but what do i know? he claims to have used it only a couple of times, and that it is like-new condition. so what do ya guys think???
    I think Sam may have had one at one time. This is the Shopline model that is blue with the splayed leg stand? I bought one last fall from a guy for $250. Wehn I was searching around the web I ran accross some thing that indicated that it might have been a Canadian model? Don't quote me on that. I have not used mine yet.
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Scottydont
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Edmonds, WA, USA.

I did an archive search and Sam did have one. Here is the link. http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...hTerms=,JSL-6J
      Scott

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• coach
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005
        • Forney, TX.
        • Powermatic 66

Scott,

i really don't know about the color, but the gent did say that it was open base...maybe splayed legs but i don't know. i didn't even ask about color, but it seems it might have been before the newer white paint jobs.

looking over Sam's list from the archive, it was the only item that didn't sell. wonder what that means???

i am leaning towards getting it anyway, and finding out the hard way what it's all about. i wonder a little if i should get a jointer before i get a planer, but the price seems right. i haven't been able to find a used jointer in the DFW area so the timing seems good.

plus i have one of those Rainbow vaccuum cleaners that i plan to sell. it should be bring close to the cost of the jointer.

Comment

• Scottydont
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Edmonds, WA, USA.

When I bought mine I was kicking it around the forum and somebody may have commented that the "Shopline" models where distributed for Home Center sales. I have only run test pieces through mine and it seem OK. $200 sounds like it's steal if the infeed and outfeed tables are flat. You may want to check them with a machinists straight edge.
          Scott

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think that should be a good deal, the low end jouinters from Delta and Jet sell for around $349 new and are basic but solid models.
            A few years ago Jet went to a off-white coler, before that the color was light blue so that gives an indication of the age.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Scottydont
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Edmonds, WA, USA.

I dug up a PDF file for the parts diagram and parts lift. Send me your email address and I will email you the file.

Scott

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Hoover
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • USA.

This is your Jet jointer with an open base. What's not to like? Go for it, $200.00 sounds like an okay price.
                No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• monte
                  Forum Windbag
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                  • GI 50-185M

Good price. I'd go for it if I were you.
                  Monte (another darksider)
                  Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• coach
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2005
                    • Forney, TX.
                    • Powermatic 66

i took your advise and called to tell the gent that i would take it. i'll pick it up this weekend. he says he's only used it a couple of times, and that his neighbor used it once. push blocks, and just chute are included. it really sounds like a nice machine.

so what all should i check when i get there? i know i should inspect the table...but how? also, should i be looking at getting a mobile base, or will i be okay just dragging it around the shop. i really don't have any idea how big or heavy it is. i would imagine it weighs over 100lbs, but maybe not.

anyway, thanks for the replies and the advise. you guys are great.

Comment

• Scottydont
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Edmonds, WA, USA.

Congratulations! Trust me it's heavy. A mobile base will be in order.
                      Scott

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• wassaw998
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Atlanta, GA, USA.

coach,

I'm no expert, but were I buying a used jointer from an individual:

I'd bring a few (~ 4') boards along that you have ripped on your TS, and run 'em through the jointer and then check the edges. Should be smooth, and , the joint when board edges layed together should be tight. The proof they say, is in the eating...

In general, if you assume the worse case, the machine has tables that are not flat, and / or it does not work, or he has dropped it, so I'd also want to check that with a high quality straight edge, and , play with the fence and all to ensure all of that works. Since he says he hardly used the machine, it should look like it ! I've seen pics of jointers all rusted out. Granted you can clean up a lot, but, that tells you something about the care.

Don't know the weight, but, I'd assume 200+ lbs. Have a plan for moving it too. Should be able to unbolt the top from the stand. You'd not want it toppling over in your truck on the home either.

Chris

Comment

• coach
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2005
                          • Forney, TX.
                          • Powermatic 66

hard times....

looks like no jointer for me. i called the guy to arrange for me to pick it up this saturday. he said he went out to start it up and check it out. then i guess he let the smoke out of the motor.

funny(not really) thing is i just ordered a planer to have to go along with my would've been new jointer. can't win 'em all i guess.

Comment

• smc331
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                            • BT3100

Should be available at a pretty good discount about now!

Price a repacement motor for it - could still be a deal...
                            Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• wassaw998
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Well, sometimes things are not meant to be !
                              Chris

Comment

Working...