• Show
Clear All
  • kaydee
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • N. California
    • BT3000

Originally posted by capncarl
    A lot of the t nuts they sell are nothing more than toilet flange bolts that are sold in every hardware and big box store plumbing dept. For much less cost. They do not have the wrench head that you will have talk about grinding down. They are usually 2" so you shorten them to your desired dimension.
    True, the t-bolts are almost identical to the toilet flange bolts. However, the toilet flange bolts at the BORG or Lowe's aren't very inexpensive either. A pair of those bolts can cost $2.00 - $3.00. Probably buying them in bulk (50 or 100) from a plumbing supply outlet would be cheaper.

Comment

• Wildwillis
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2013
      • Syracuse, NY
      • Craftsman 21829

Just wanted to say that the Lee Valley kit came in and at a brief glance it seems great. I believe I placed the order late Friday night and I was very surprised when it was on my doorstep Monday afternoon. Shipped from a small town that's only 120 miles north of me so I guess it was a short trip.

Anyway, I'm sure there are places to get toilet bolts cheap but I got a pair of them from HD last year and they were cheap and expensive. I got the 5/8" kit which is obviously beefier, but the hardware is obviously a lot sturdier. It already came in handy last night as I got really lucky this weekend and got an unused Bosh 12" Axial Glide miter saw off Craigslist for $400. I was trying to use some 5/8" bolts to attach it to my craftsman stand but I couldn't get the head of the bolts to clear a particular part of it for the two bolts in the front. Grabbed a pair of my new t-bolts and they worked like a charm. I would have never 'sacrificed' t-bolts for that before but now I have plenty to spare.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Thanks for the post, glad to see that L-V has come thru for you.

I think I mentioned earlier that L-V is my favorite on-line supplier for woodworking hardware, tools, etc. Not only are their catalogs exceptional, but their customer service has always been spectacular. Down here in the Binghamton (NY) area we don't have much in the way of woodworking stores. Lowes, Home Depot, a couple of 'home-style' hardware/lumber retailers, Sears, and Harbor Freight is about it, so a company like Lee-Valley is pretty nice to be able to order from; and I've always received my orders within two to four work days.

One of the nice things with L-V is that their people seem to listen and they understand the products that they offer. It's sort of a 'personal' service, from my experience. For example, a few years ago I ordered some Narex mortise chisels. I liked them so much that the following Christmas I ordered some of their bevel chisels. The latter arrived without the blade guards. A quick call and the guards arrived two days later. No question, no argument, just a brief conversation about how I liked the brand and what else could they help me with.

A few months later, there was a conversation on one of the forums about Skew chisels, and I looked to the European web site for Narex to see if they made them. Sure enough, so I wrote a brief E-mail to L-V, asked if they could get them and if so, could they get them in the black handles that their offering of L-V Narex chisels had. (A couple of the other retailers of Narex offers their chisels with un-stained handles.) A couple of days later I received a very nice response, that they were looking into it and they'd keep me informed; a few weeks later a second response arrived with a price and I placed my order. That fall, their winter catalog offered the Narex skew chisels and I believe they are now a catalog standard.

I like a company who listens to their customers! Excellent service all around!

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 04-22-2016, 06:42 PM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...