• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Two Much
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Long Island, NY
    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

ok, just checked with my hubby, re: the tounge and groove. He explained to me why the need for
    tongue and groove, and why the importance of keeping it sealed. Our daughter has a wrap around
    porch on her Victorian home. The part in front of the front door (as well as the two side steps are
    open to access the steps. The rest of the wood slats end into the railings. I imagine that's the way yours is, that
    the end wood takes a beaten because it is exposed to the elements. I imagine applying a yearly sealer on
    the exposed edge of the wood in front of the steps is essential.

Comment

• trungdok
      Established Member
      • Oct 2012
      • MA

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      I'm wondering now if I should just try to pound the last board in from the end using some friendly persuasion and keeping the whole tongue and groove in tact...
      You could try, but it will probably be pretty hard. The longer the board, the harder it will be. Gentle persuasion of the last 6" or so would be easier and no one would be able to tell the difference.

As far as differences between old and new boards, I would take out all the boards up to the width of the staircase (assuming the bad boards are within that width). That will create the effect of an intentional design.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I ripped off the old flooring this evening--came up pretty easy. The boards were stapled down with 15 1/2 gauge staples. I had bought some trim screws but as I pulled up the boards, I decided that for me or the next guy, I'm going to use staples, too. I have a flooring nailer/stapler. But, oh man, the price of SS staples is crazy! OTOH, I will save a ton of time over screws and screws cost the same per screw, but I don't need a 1000 pack of staples--I need about 150.

I'm convinced all the spiders in Maryland have or are living under my porch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spiderhole.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	787727

I just laid out the boards to see how everything fit. That last board slid right in with hand pressure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	porch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	787728

As I was pulling up the boards, my wife asked "Are you going to replace these boards (in a different area), too?" Ugh. The challenge is the porch posts sit on the floor, the flooring doesn't go around it. I think I'd have to provide some temporary support to lift the posts up to replace the flooring. Not this guy, but I would love to.

Edit: Ugh. Noone local sells stainless steel flooring staples. Got to wait to finish this on Monday when Amazon delivers. I'd better find something else to do before the wife adds to my list.
        Last edited by atgcpaul; 04-23-2016, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• ener
          Handtools only
          • Apr 2016

I would recommend you to replace the entire porch. Such type of flooring will always give you some troubles. Concrete the floor if it is not and do some epoxy coating. I did it for my porch in the last year and I am very much impressed. I have done it from Proseal Floor Contractors in Mississauga http://www.prosealfloors.com/products-services/. If you are interested, you can have a look at the different types of flooring on the site. There are so many other flooring methods and I don't feel good with your porch flooring.

Comment

Working...