• Show
Clear All
  • ballard770
    Established Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Washington State
    • Ryobi BT3000

SMT Slide (A) and Slide (B) Replacements

I have three BT3000s that I am parting out and one BT3000 that I am keeping after canibalizing the other three for the best parts for my personal BT3000 engineering marvel or piece of junk!

Quite frankly I still have mixed feelings about the saw but the fact that I already have it, it fits in a real small space and it is versatile as I can shift functions around and it provides a good base for my router with the router kit and accessory table means that i will probably keep it for a few more years. So far it has been accurate enough for most of my needs. Besides a cabinet saw will cost several hundred to over $1000 and still wouldn't be top of the line.

I listed two SMTs that so far haven't sold and I will relist them soon. One guy asked if I had the 'little plastic thingys' that the table slides on and I told him that the SMT listed has them..I lied as one one of the saws two of the slide had broken and the sliding table would lift off the base. I have determined that SLIDE (B) P/N 661845001 is the one that I need. Slide (A) P/N 661844001 appears to be good. This situation appears to be fortunate as checking online gardner ($?) and eparts ($1.99) both have Slide (B) but they don't have slide(A).

I have questions to raise with the forum:
    1) do these slides periodically break?
    2) can slide (B) be rotated 90 degrees to reverse the tab? Two of the slide (B)s appear to have no tabs remaining.
    3) if I order slide (B) should I get a few extras in the event of breakage and I may also get another 'parts saw' as soon as I get my garage cleared of BT3000 parts?
    4) Slide A - as these are no longer available is there any option of fabricating a plastic slide to replace it? It doesn't apppear that flipping slide (B) could ever replace slide (A)
    5) One SMT seems to be sticking - would a dry lubricant be advised after cleaning out any sawdust, etc?
    6) any other comments about the SMT and slides will be appreciated.

Lee
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Originally posted by ballard770

I have questions to raise with the forum:
    1) do these slides periodically break?
    not under normal handling and use
    2) can slide (B) be rotated 90 degrees to reverse the tab? Two of the slide (B)s appear to have no tabs remaining.
    the glides can be rotated 180°
    3) if I order slide (B) should I get a few extras in the event of breakage and I may also get another 'parts saw' as soon as I get my garage cleared of BT3000 parts?
    This is almost an ethics question. Should you order replacement parts that are already in short supply just in case?
    4) Slide A - as these are no longer available is there any option of fabricating a plastic slide to replace it? It doesn't apppear that flipping slide (B) could ever replace slide (A)
    I think both parts could be made from a dense hardwood or uhmw or perhaps lexan. I've not done so since I've not needed to yet. I've had my BT3K since 99 IIRC and it has lasted through 2 cross state moves.
    5) One SMT seems to be sticking - would a dry lubricant be advised after cleaning out any sawdust, etc?
    Dry lube might help but a wax would be better. Wax the base where the glides ride. Adjust them to just right, no slop but not loose either.
    6) any other comments about the SMT and slides will be appreciated.

Lee
    The SMT is only worthwhile if you have one that you are able to adjust perfectly where it has repeatable accuracy, not all have been able to do so.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• ballard770
      Established Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Washington State
      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the info.

I need two glides to replace the totally broken ones so I will consider your comment about short supply before ordering more.

I have not always been able to really get the SMT adjusted precise but I may remedy that by building a miter sled as most of my crosscutting is 45 degrees for picture frames so I will probably just use the slot table that i have for one side of the blade and set the accessory table snug against the main saw table for the 'slot' on the other side.

I have recommended this forum to others with BT3000 as it has certainly

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've given up on my SMT. I do love it when it works, but it's way too finicky for me. It's gotten sloppy over the years and I'm honestly tired of messing with it. That, and as BW pointed out, parts are getting scarce. I'm using sleds now for crosscuts and I love it. I haven't removed it yet, but I'm looking forward to filling that space with a piece of laminate and not having to walk around the track--and running into it all the time.

My sleds have a single runner for the left side. So far, it's worked fine.
        Joe

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Suddenly, an idea popped up in my brain, First one in a while.

The "A" slides would be a job for a good 3-D printer. Any 3D printers around here?
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by leehljp
            Suddenly, an idea popped up in my brain, First one in a while.

The "A" slides would be a job for a good 3-D printer. Any 3D printers around here?
            Hank, that is a great idea. I do have access to a 3D printer, but I am nowhere near an expert on it. I'm sure there are others much more experienced with them. I'm more than willing to try it, but it might be awhile.

I'm not even sure which parts we're talking about.
            Joe

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Joey,
              I am going to start a new thread to draw attention to this.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• snowmansmedleys
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2021

I really don't like shilling, but I've made replacement slide sets.
                They're my own design based on the OEM parts, but slightly different.
                Their printed in either Nylon 6/6 or 6/12, so they're silky smooth and wear like iron.

BT3000 or BT3100 Nylon Miter Table Slides (1 complete set) 661845001 661844001

I'll post this in the other threads that I found. Feel free to delete my posts and shove it in a new thread if you feel that's more fitting.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by snowmansmedleys
                  I really don't like shilling, but I've made replacement slide sets.
                  They're my own design based on the OEM parts, but slightly different.
                  Their printed in either Nylon 6/6 or 6/12, so they're silky smooth and wear like iron.

BT3000 or BT3100 Nylon Miter Table Slides (1 complete set) 661845001 661844001

I'll post this in the other threads that I found. Feel free to delete my posts and shove it in a new thread if you feel that's more fitting.
                  I saw this a week or two ago. I may buy one in the next few weeks, when I get some time to try it out. Thanks for your post.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

Working...