• Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

How to replace window stool?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 08.55.31.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	801043

One of my wife's dogs (no, definitely not mine) is part beaver. I guess he was a little peaved we got home late one day and left this for me (as well as chewing off the corner of an entryway bench I made).

Anyway, how would a typical stool be attached to the frame? From the top down into the apron and/or through the front of the stool into the framing behind it in the wall? Recent episode of Ask This Old House had Tom Silva doing both. I need to replace the stool but don't to damage the surroundings. I have an oscillating saw with new and improve blades that should cut through nails, too.

And that dog needed some expensive dental work later. He is really the "gift" that keeps on giving. Do they sell a bittering agent that can be mixed into latex and clear finishes?

Paul
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think its a sill, not a stool...
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      I think its a sill, not a stool...
      No, it's a window stool. The window sill sits under the bottom window sash and extends to the outside of the house.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Actually, that is the "stool", with the "sill" being the similar piece that extends from the very inside edge of the wall, slanting downward to the outside, extending over the siding where it acts to drain any precipitation (reference Carpentry and Building Construction, Feirer and Hutchings, page 933). The "stool" is the inside trim piece that sits at the bottom of the window opening, acting both as trim and sort of a shelf.

When the window is closed, the bottom window sash sits on the "sill" and behind the "stool".

After the window is installed, with the sill in place, the stool is nailed into the sill. Then the "casing" (vertical inside trim) installed and then the top horizontal trim.

To replace the stool, you'll have to remove the two vertical "casing" pieces. Hopefully the top trim has not been nailed to those. Once the two casing pieces are removed, the stool should be able to be pried off. You may have to remove the apron, but hopefully you can pry the stool, loose from the sill on it's outside edge (window side).

Properly installed, the "stool" is cut in a manner so that it sits inside of the window's sash.

If you'd like, I can return later and post a scanned illustration (no time at the moment, sorry).

I hope this helps,

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 02-06-2016, 11:40 AM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          No, it's a window stool. The window sill sits under the bottom window sash and extends to the outside of the house.

OK, you're right! sorry.
          Sorry for the dog, too!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black walnut
            Administrator
            • Aug 2015
            • BT3K

Wow learn something new each day. Thanks #cwsmith for the education. It makes sense to me to disassemble as CWS says and then make a new stool from wood of the same species as you currently have so it matches the rest of the house.
            just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I have never replaced a stool that was NOT nailed to the apron. Nothing that you could not handle. I pulled the stool and apron off at the same time and pried them apart, pulling out the nails. For the stubborn nails that would not come out I split the stool.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

When removing the casing, you might want to try the plastic pry bars sold to remove trim in cars. I did removing some trim I wanted to reuse recently and was pleasantly surprised. They won't work if the nails are big, of course, but they may be helpful. My plastic pry bars came from Harbor Freight.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ended up pry barring out the stool and apron (in pieces). I glued the 3 pieces of stool back together so I can get some general measurements. I'm glad I didn't have to take off the casings. There's also a bevel on the underside of the stool where it matches the slope of the sill that I'll do on the TS. I've got some poplar I'll mill to match. HD should be a ghost town today so I'll go later to get a matching apron.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was going to do this yesterday but I went to the attic to store an oscillating fan. I noticed a small branch sitting on the attic floor. How did that get there? I look up and see that some critter had pried open the Al louvers at the peak of my roof and tore a hole through the screening. It was metal screening, too. Spent the rest of the afternoon going to HD to get newer, heavier gauge screening and wedging myself into the rafters to staple it in place with my air stapler. The fix isn't as nice as the original because they installed the screening from the outside after they sheathed the roof but before the shingles and louvers. Working from the inside wasn't ideal but not much I could do about that.

This house makes its own honey-do list.
                  Last edited by atgcpaul; 02-07-2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I'm glad it wasn't a big challenge. Sometimes you run into workmanship that makes you wonder. Here's an illustration of a typical window installation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	window001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	787601

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...