• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Organizer for Lathe chucks and centers

My lathe chucks and centers were getting a bit disorganized, mainly shoved into drawers under the lathe, or on the workbench behind it, so I made a simple storage unit from which to hang them where they would be easy to identify and retrieve. The drill chucks and centers with their MT2 shanks required an 11/16 bit that I did not have, so need to acquire a Silver and Deming set (discussed here: http://www.sawdustzone.org/content.p...ing-Drill-Bits). This will be clamped to the workbench behind my lathe, right next to the lathe tool rack. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Very nice job.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Dang Bill, you are giving me way too many great ideas. I am just getting into turning and I find myself working on lots of storage and organizing projects rather than getting anything made :-(.

This weekend I must set myself a goal to actually turn something.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Bill,

Nice project, I'm all for keeping organized and that looks great. Reminds me of the collet racks that I used to see on many of the machining centers at the Rand.

Very well done,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I'll take one ;-)

Great idea, will have to copy that if I ever find some showtime again.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Thanks guys. Used up some scraps in the making - the plywood face from a cabinet project, the mdf sides from a jig project, and dowels were harvested from a cast-off headboard I came across (all 3/4 inch maple). The chuck rack is tilted back 30 degrees off vertical, and the centers rack is set back 30 degrees to be horizontal. Nothing fancy, just glued and screwed. But I'm already feeling more organized and productive as I can easily find and select what I need.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...